Dispute payment!

Hey all,
Today was payday! Yay! Shame is was payday for someone else!
I went to get my bank card out of my purse today (I hardly use it, maybe once/twice a month)
I normally withdraw all my money the day I get it (I don’t trust banks haha)
Anyway, I went to order myself some tea tonight and my daughter and noticed my bank wasn’t in my purse.
Upon checking my phone, someone has spent £179 at Tesco, and withdrawn £200 :tired_face::tired_face::tired_face:.
I’ve raised a fraud dispute and frozen my card ext with them. No live chat available till the morning so can’t actually speak to them. Am I likely to get this money back? Or do I need to struggle for the rest of the month?
I’ve managed to move the rest of my money to another bank I have.
So annoying!!! Any advice? Successful stories?

1 Like

Are you sure this wasn’t you? Or someone you know? Did you not get the notifications?

You cannot do either of these things without your pin.

8 Likes

As @Revels says, both of these things require your PIN. Have you given it to anyone, written it down on a piece of paper or something?

In a case where the card PIN is used a reimbursement is unlikely given that it will look like you’ve broken your end of the terms and conditions.

Raise it with chat, the relevant team will do an investigation which can take some weeks, then if you do not agree with the results you can send in a complaint.

2 Likes

Definitely wasn’t me, I was in my house at the time and the atm is around 20 minutes away from me.
No don’t have my pin written anywhere, or anything like that.

1 Like

Interesting that the payments were in the local area. Does anybody else know your PIN (friends, family members)?

1 Like

No, not that I know of. I’ve never given it to anyone. I don’t use the card a lot, normally just to purchase things online. I’ve withdrawn cash probably twice from it.
I went to the shop and asked to see the CCTV but they refused.

1 Like

They will - call the police on 101, report it, then the shop will have to show you the footage, or at least hand it over to the police within 14 days I think

1 Like

Anther possibility could be that your details were stolen using a card skimmer + a camera or one of those fake PIN pad things

4 Likes

I called 101 last night, of course am waiting for a call back within 48 hours

2 Likes

I would trust a bank more than I would trust an ATM which can be compromised.

4 Likes

You could have moved it into a pot but to another account is sensible as yours will likely be frozen while they investigate.

In the mean time try and get some evidence together to support your argument that you were at home at the time and how it can’t possibly have been you.

1 Like

Any advice on evidence? I’ve currently got my ring doorbell footage which shoes my car ect at home

1 Like

Nothing.

Report it to monzo and wait to see what they say.

They will make a decision based on information they have available to them, ie your device behaviour and other pieces.

4 Likes

This doesn’t prove anything. You need to let Monzo investigate and decide.

3 Likes

Not off the top of my head, I’ll have a think.

But playing devils advocate if you typically withdraw all of your money on payday and on the exact day a sizeable amount was withdrawn just down the road from you, it does look natural.

I’m not judging and I in no way have anywhere near all the facts. I was more thinking along the lines of anything to support your claim can only help potentially speed up the process and produce the outcome you want.

3 Likes

Crazy though eh, someone having been subject to fraud on payday, no previous attempts to use the card anywhere, just exactly on payday.

Probably worth looking a little bit closer to home at family and friends to know so much.

5 Likes

I normally transfer it all from my Monzo to my Halifax and withdraw from there on payday, so they’ll see I normally send it all to my other bank

1 Like

Fingers crossed you hear back from Monzo soon. Let us know how it goes :crossed_fingers:

Not to be rude, but why do you have a Monzo account then?

4 Likes

Paid early, at a guess.

3 Likes