Declined card withdrawal at Link ATM

Attempted to use a free cash Link ATM today. Inserting the card the screen said something like reading or checking chip. Then reported that the card was not accepted.

1 Like

I’m happy to double-check this when I get a CA, but knowing my luck, my wife will get a postal invite and I’ll end up getting CA at the end of the year :joy:

Have you raised it in the in-app chat so the team can check it out on Monday?

1 Like

Will do. Thanks. I’ll add it.

Don’t think :monzo: Monzo is a member of the Link network. There’s no Link logo on their cards.

1 Like

That’s correct, they’re not listed on Link’s site -

http://www.link.co.uk/about-link/members/

3 Likes

That website is awful…

It’s like being in 1996 :eyes:

2 Likes

It was the best they could do on their Sinclair Spectrum ZX2

3 Likes

I really really hope their payment network is better than their website… #infosec

It probably runs on an old Windows 3.1 PC is some dusty cupboard :joy:

1 Like

Windows 3.1 VM on a WIN10 box :eyes:

4 Likes

Yet to get the new Monzo CA and debit card, so interested in what access to cash points is like?

Reports on the Starling forum are that the card is not part of the Link Network (as I understand is also the case with Monzo) and people are experiencing a number of ATMs that won’t accept the card.

Is the Monzo debit card any different in this respect?

Good question as @anon70107404 as I am watching monzo whilst using Starling.

Kieran’s just reminded me about this comment from Daniel -

27B81689-2008-43B8-A234-74EFC17755BE

3 Likes

I mean…I used a supposedly “Link only” ATM yesterday and it all went through okay?

1 Like

Me too - I used a machine that appeared to be Link only with my Starling card a few weeks back and it all went through. (It also failed to charge me the ÂŁ1.99 withdrawal fee!)

I assume the way the Monzo cards work with ATMs is pretty much the same so I think it’s relevant.

Apparently, this mean’s Starling picked up the tab!
Whenever a machine says it will charge you £x, and you don’t get charged the bank (Starling, Monzo) is paying it for you!

2 Likes

I was visiting the in laws this weekend in Bacton in Norfolk for a birthday party. Before hand I had to get some money out, the only cash machine in the village was in a shop. When I attempted to use it, my card was rejected as apparently my bank is not in the LINK network! Luckily my daughters boyfriend had a Lloyds account and his card was accepted otherwise it would have been a very dry party! I assume this is a known issue and been mentioned before, but trying to spot previous topics on my phone is hard work. What is the score with this? Is Monzo in or planning to join the LINK network, as it was a MAJOR inconvenience and was lucky to have another card at hand to save the day! Cheers.

MasterCard is a major global network. There are very few ATMs in the UK not connected to the major global networks (Visa and MasterCard at least, all Amex cards have the LINK AID so they don’t need to connect direct to Amex - I don’t know about D-PAS and UnionPay support tho).

It’s unfortunate you found one but I don’t think the rare times people will encounter this would be worth the cost of membership in LINK? I don’t know how much it costs but I sure imagine it isn’t free!!!

2 Likes