Coin Jar Feedback Thread

Best iOS feature we’ve seen this year :thinking:

Anyone else sometimes pick a more expensive item because it gives a better coin jar return? So instead of something at 80p I pick the £1.10 version to make sure 90p goes in :flushed:

2 Likes

No, instead I would manually do the coin jar transfer of 20p.

No, but I do get unreasonably annoyed when my shopping comes out at x.99.
“What?? Only 1p for my coin jar? That’s outrageous!!”

7 Likes

The Monzo April Update went live and they’re doing the small icon in the corner of the transaction logo idea! I’m going to buy a lottery ticket :laughing:

10 Likes

Great idea, but would like the ability to set whatever threshold I’d like. I may only want to round up by 10p, 20p, 50p etc. If we can have granular control then I’m in.

1 Like

I’d love to see two things for coin jar. These would 100% make coin car more useful to me and actually save me on month to month pay checks

1. It works out my rough spendings and instead of rounding up to the nearest pound it just takes more randomly. Ie. £5 when you’re quite a heavy spender and maybe £20 if you’re not. At the moment rounding up to the nearest pound is almost pointless as it doesn’t save enough.
  2. Turn on and off notifications. I’d like to have no idea how much it’s taking, so when I’m low on money I can be surprised with the £120 I have left still.
1 Like

Nice feature! But a bit annoying… So many transactions to Coin Jar… Maybe it possible to group them ?

1 Like

That’s a good idea

There are plans to tidy up the extra transactions in April

3 Likes

Apologies if this has already been highlighted (this is a very long thread), but why is the Coin Jar feature so well hidden? It’s not even a suggested pot under “What should we call this pot?”. Rather, you have to be a community member, read the blog, follow on Twitter, or read the email updates to be aware that you must make a pot named “Coin Jar” to make use of the feature. I’d have thought Monzo would have made this more front and centre!

4 Likes

It was launched as an “experiment” so I understand they’re using the ongoing feedback to improve how Coin Jar round ups appear in the transaction feed at the moment. It’s all part of their redesigned spending update, so once that’s released I’m sure it’ll be promoted in-app to all users in the same way overdrafts have been.

1 Like

Thanks for the information. I guess that makes some sense. However, the coin jar really sells itself and simply needs the word “beta” (or something along those lines) alongside it to advertise its infancy. I’m glad I know about it, as its making me reconsider my allegiance to Starling, but its a shame that new and even some existing customers might not.

1 Like

Sure, I also agree it’s a quality addition to the app and it’s a feature that’s going to become the norm for digital banks as Revolut are launching their version “Vaults” next week too.

Every customer receives email newsletters (unless they opt out) which are there to keep all users up to date, so I feel Monzo has done their part on making users aware across all platforms.

Also, they rely on word of mouth a lot for the network effects so I wouldn’t be surprised if as part of the experiment they want users of Coin Jar to sell it to their friends (which I did for 2 existing users who don’t read newsletters :smile:).

Not sure if this has been mebtioned, but the ability to hide the coin would be great, as indeed with other jars. This would go hand in had with the new redeisgn of spend where coin jar transactions will be shown as one spend, as opposed to seeing a coin jar round ups thought-out the timeline.

Also, there is an app is the US called qapital, they do the automatic round ups too, but they also allow you to choose custom round up amounts, so say instead of just rounding up the change, I could round up the change plus £1 for example, or even £5 if I wanted to. This would be a great feature for savers!

1 Like

Why? Oh why? Why must you show me the rounding as a seperste transaction in my feed. May lord have mercy on your souls.

This is being sorted in the next update :raised_hands:t3:

There are a few changes coming to the app this month - including tidying up Coin Jar

1 Like

I think it would be great function if customers could hide their coin jar and coin jar transactions. Knowing the coin jar is filling up without seeing how much has great benefits. Does anyone agree?

4 Likes

Yes - and Monzo agrees too - they will disappear from your feed soon (see my post above).

1 Like