Cashpoint failed to give me my money and then took my cash card as well

Unhelpful customer service cashpoint error went to the cashpoint on Friday early morning check my balance had the money in my account we went to draw it cash machine made with alright sounds then reboot itself said not to retain and pin and took my card

Your best bet is reaching out to Monzo either in the app or over the phone.

I’d temporarily freeze your card too if I were you. :slight_smile:

Hope you get it all sorted.

3 Likes

Have you frozen and ordered a new card?

I can take a while for the cash machine operator to reconcile the machine

Can’t see how this is Monzo’s fault. Sometimes machines break down. What you just described could have happened at that moment with any card issued by any bank.

Tell Monzo in-app, then move on with your life and put it down to one of those things that happens occasionally.

2 Likes

I’m a single dad on benefit right it’s not a little £10 is £300

So unhelpful don’t want to help me can’t quite recredit me why that investigating saying that it might take up to 8 weeks to get my money back after only get paid once a month

Do you think Monzo should just give you £300 whilst they investigate? Clearly that’s not going to happen.

The processes have to be followed.

4 Likes

Well we’re not all not all of it but but they should be able to offer me some help the first time that ever happened to me all they say is they can’t help me did not explain that to me in it

It’s normally quicker than that. It just depends if the machine says there’s extra money in it

1 Like

Maybe they had trouble understanding what your problem was.

4 Likes

Have you asked them for help? Or worked with them on a compromise?

I had the same thing happen at the machine 4 weeks ago took £250 from my account but didnt give me any cash. Still waiting for it back :woman_facepalming: says could take up to 3 months

1 Like

Think it’s joke it three months to get back and not guaranteed normal bank would got money back for us on same day don’t understand why take so long

I very much doubt a “normal bank” (whatever that means) would be any quicker in this case because they’d still have to wait for the ATM operator to investigate. The only cases I can see where it would be quicker is if you were using your own bank’s ATMs (in this case the “feedback loop” is quicker as MasterCard wouldn’t have to be involved) or were using a credit card and were disputing the transaction under Section 75 (where the law says the lender has to refund you immediately even if the investigation is still in progress).

2 Likes

Barclays or a Halifax would would would find your money straight away no not not 8-weeks waiting time other friends what does happened to with a normal bank account high Street Bank the time to get the money back in the same day they phone up so I don’t know where you’re from

Happened with me with Santander and took about a month

Luckily it was only £20

Apparently, it is only when an engineer comes round and counts it all up etc. Which I imagine is less frequently due to COVID.

Some banks are offering interest free overdraft, Monzo might if you explain the situation

It happened to my mate with that bank it was 250 and he got it back the same day

Barclays: 4 days, or 12 if not their cash machine (https://www.barclays.co.uk/help/cards/using-cards/atm-problem/)
HSBC: “number of days” - https://www.hsbc.co.uk/help/card-support/query-transaction/

Kinda the only info I can find. Guess it all is a matter of risk analysis for a lot of these banks etc. :slight_smile: And might seem like a regular fraud vector – https://www.theguardian.com/money/2018/oct/06/bank-atms-cash-machine-mistake-error

1 Like

Harping on about it here won’t unfortunately speed up the process, all you can do is keep up the contact with in app chat and see what else they can do whilst waiting for the return to come through

1 Like

I work for an ATM operator and their reconciliation of transactions (both successful and unsuccessful) is fully automated.

When you click on the amount you want to withdraw the ATM will query Monzo to ask if it has permission to charge your account £300. If it is a ‘yes’ then your Monzo app will instantly show a £300 ATM charge to you, however the ATM still needs to count out the money and record the dispense on tiny cctv cameras within the machine before they actually charge you.

When the ATM confirms to itself that the money has been dispensed it will ‘present’ the charge to Monzo and actually take the £300.

The most likely scenario is that the ATM has asked if it can charge £300, Monzo has given permission, but then the ATM has crashed before dispensing, so the ATM has not confirmed the withdrawal and will not charge your account, however Monzo are still waiting there not knowing for sure if a £300 charge will come through or not. Meanwhile, you are left with £300 no longer showing as available in your account.

I think it is 7 days when Monzo’s authorisation lapses and it will appear as a refund. Alternatively, either party can manually terminate the authorisation which would instantly appear as a refund on your account. Some ATM machines will terminate the authorisation themselves when they come back online and therefore it will appear as a refund shortly after the charge.

The ‘worst case scenario’ (the scenario they quoted in their stock response) is where there is an actual charge made and an ongoing dispute about whether it was dispensed correctly or at all, where the ATM provider has to pull up all the camera footage etc… This is very rare (at least at my ATM provider) and it is not in anyone’s interest for it to go into an investigation, so you are unlikely to wait anywhere near this long and it’s most likely a case of Monzo not being sure if a £300 charge is about to arrive or not.

You should ask Support if the transaction has finalised or if it is still pending. If it is still pending after days then it is probably never going to be charged and Monzo support have the ability to revoke the authorisation if they want to and have the money show on your account again. They may choose not to though as £300 is a lot higher than the average withdrawal and they will not have any decline receipt to back up their decision.

They have actually revoked an ATM authorisation for me back in the past, so they can do it, but I think nowdays they may be more weary of people just saying the ATM never dispensed anything, and getting stuck with the bill if it does come through.

We need to understand that Monzo are also incentivised to come up with a blanket rule to solve all the fiddly ATM queries (eg. “The money should be returned within 3 months, please don’t bother us until then”), rather than having hundreds of COps looking into the specifics of individual cases and making judgement calls on each one.

It’s an annoying problem to have but there is an extremely high chance you’ll have it back within a week.

Please come back to let us know how you get on!

24 Likes