Possible ATM failure marked as "pending" - how to refund?

Hello there, I am a happy Monzo user since some time and this is my first message in the forum :grin:
Basically: I was in hurry while withdrawing money from an ATM at a train station, and I did the “classic” (well, for people like me) thing of taking the card as soon as it gave it back and then running away without taking the money :frowning:
This happened 2 working days ago, on the Monzo app I see that the transaction is still marked as “pending”, which makes me think the ATM took the money back, but how can I have them credited back?
Any help would be appreciated, thank you in advance!

It will be handled automatically if it truest hasn’t gone through. Pending transactions are supposed to drop off after about 7 days or so.

If you really want some more focussed advice, however, I’d suggest a message using thre in app chat feature to see what Monzo can dig up for you.

3 Likes

In this particular case I suggest not asking customer support to reverse the transaction - if it did indeed go through (someone grabbed the cash just after you, etc) you’d be caught by surprise when the transaction settles one week later.

Consider the cash lost until the transaction reverses by itself after a week (well theoretically the ATM operator could still settle it way after that delay, but a week is usually a safe delay after which it’s very unlikely anyone would settle a transaction).

Ive just had a similar experience. I walked away from a atm not knowing that £160 was out to be collected then swallowed ba k up. I didn’t know untill i got home and had a online payment declined then i looked at my bank app and seen it showing £160 withdrawn. I the bank but they couldn’t credit me and said they had to do an investigation. The kinda made me feel like a lier

They don’t think you’re a liar, but they can’t just say “Oh you didn’t take the cash, have £160 back” without checking.

The machine will know that the cash wasn’t given, it just takes a little while for that message to get back to Monzo.

There was a really good post about it on here but sadly it’s been deleted, but that’s a very very basic summary.

2 Likes

Takes up to 7 days for the ATM to assess what it did and didn’t give out, and if it’s not rectified after this 7 day window, you then reach out to the bank and explain what’s happened.