Apple Pay - Tesco

Hello :wave:t2:

Anyone had same problem?
Tesco refuses to accept Apple Pay with Monzo? Just double beep from terminal.
Asda, Sainsbury’s, Morrison’s etc accept Monzo/Apple pay without any issues.
I have HSBC card added to Apple Pay as well and Tesco accepts it?
Thanks!

Works fine for me with Monzo, although it’s annoying how they don’t accept Apple Pay above £30 yet.

3 Likes

Works fine for me

1 Like

What amount was it - over £30?

1 Like

No… below £30. Tried 2 times then switched card to HSBC - no probs.
Not the first time

Ive never had this issue, does it happen in all Tesco stores or just a specific one?

1 Like

Haven’t had this happen any time I’ve used Apple Pay at Tesco, but it is something we see in the Chat support from time to time.

Usually if you try to make the payment again, either with Apple Pay or Contactless it should go through without any issues

1 Like

Never had this issue with Apple Pay…

But with tesco if it’s over £30 it’ll still request the card, even on Apple Pay

1 Like

I tried few times… phone shows tick - payment was accepted but double beep from terminal. Tesco only. No problems with contactless there

I think the problem in alot of cases may be that you have to click pay by card depending on what version of Tesco’s software it’s on,

You used to be able to tap a contactless card when it was on the payment screen where it asks you how you want to pay, cash/card/voucher and it went through.

But since they started with NFC clubcards on that screen it only accepts clubcards unless you click on cards.

If you try contactless at that stage your phone will get a tick on the screen, it will say processing and then it will decline.

I have 2 local Tesco’s one seems to have an update that now you can do contactless on the cash/card/voucher screen and it goes through but the other Tesco still doesn’t let, so hopefully they’re rolling out new software.

Always been fine here, unless it’s over £30

I know this is an old topic … but…

I’ve just been to Tesco, spent ~£60, and was able to pay with Apple Pay … I just chanced it, and it worked. :partying_face:

3 Likes

:exclamation:

They said this on Twitter at the start of May but contradicted it to someone else the next day. Glad they do seem to be trialling it

3 Likes

Oh wow, finally!

I am very amused by this, they had around three years of notice on the requirement change. It only took a global pandemic and two years of getting exemptions from card network requirements for them to “trial” it.

I would be genuinely interested in talking to someone from Tesco and their acquirer to find out the true story behind this, because it must be absolutely wild.

5 Likes

That guy tweeting Tesco is everything I hate about social media.

4 Likes

Keep it as backup… :+1:t2:

Ye, that’s exactly what I thought when I tried it :joy:

I was waiting for the till to complain about it not working, but got a printed receipt and still doubted it :joy:

Trying to push people to use Tesco Pay+ is the only logical reason I can come to when thinking why it’s taken them so long.

5 Likes