Apple Pay - Tesco

i agree with the face they probably want people to us pay+
so what is ASDA’s reason for not doing it?

I wasn’t aware they didn’t. I thought it was only Tesco.

Not got a clue why it would be the case there.

ASDA is our go to for shopping but a real pain with not taking apple pay over normal contactless limit. :smirk:

Pretty sure my local ASDA do :eyes: might be an older ASDA that you got to?

As much as I want Tesco to also take Apple Pay for high value transactions, I don’t get this hostility towards Pay+? It scans my Clubcard and pays in one - pretty convenient to collect Clubcard points

3 Likes

Tesco is not my usual supermarket but in normal times I have to go there for a shop every month or two (it is by far the closest supermarket to an event I go to) and spend more than £30. I really don’t want to be forced into using yet another godsdamn app just to pay with my phone using a method that they have specifically tried to get out of their requirement (by payment network rules) to support.

Honestly, the fact that they managed to roll out Pay+ in the time they were avoiding their requirement to roll out Consumer Device Cardholder Verification Method (CDCVM, the technology that allows Apple Pay, Google Pay, and others to use authentication on your device in place of a PIN/signature/etc.) support in their terminals annoys me on a personal level.

I have strong opinions about payment systems though, so take this with a grain of salt. Maybe Pay+ is actually good! :stuck_out_tongue:

9 Likes

Yeah given I want the clubcard points too, I really rate pay+.

If it was only paying as some shops might try get you to do, it would be a joke, but def utility in the 2-in-1 scan.

3 Likes

I’m with you here, I don’t want to be forced into using multiple mobile wallet solutions just because they don’t yet support something they should be, so would never use Tesco’s Pay +.

It seems Tesco has finally upped the Apple Pay limit, to £250 :raised_hands:.
It would have been better to remove the limit entirely, but I think £250 should be sufficient for the vast majority of people. Image below is from my local Tesco - this may be a staggered rollout, I have no idea.

I’ve not needed to use it over £45 yet, so cannot confirm if it works.

5 Likes

The world is definitely coming to an end

2 Likes

I guess their strategy of intentionally crippling mobile payments to push everyone to their stupid ClubCard didn’t get the desired results… who would’ve guessed. :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

Wow this is finally Tesco adopting a change that is years behind the rest of the market by accepting and allowing the use of Apple/Google Pay… and yet they’ve still managed to completely f**k it up! Why on earth would they put a £250 limit on it (also I didn’t even know that this was physically possible to limit Apple/Google Pay in this way. It would be interesting to know if someone has somehow managed to spend more than £250 in Tesco and make a successful payment with either Apple/Google Pay above that limit.

I think people always mix up the fact that Apple Pay/Google Pay will work anywhere that takes contactless (up to £30 (or £45 in some places with the COVID change)) but unless their terminals have been updated and enabled for Apple/Google Pay they will not work for the larger (limitless) amounts that those two technologies allow.

3 Likes

They do it by programming the machines (possibly via the POS) locally to turn off contactless above £250.

My old job the dev had limited it to £1k for some reason.

Just a bizarre and unnecessary step… not that I think i’d ever spend more than £250 in one go at Tesco but still odd.

Biggest Apple Pay transaction i’ve done is £4,500 with my watch. Done over £1,000 quite a few times.

1 Like

I got fed up with having to login frequently which was a pain even with the password manager. Now that the local corner shop is not a Tesco (they closed it) and there’s other supermarkets that are closer for big stores, I rarely go to Tesco, thus no longer with using the Pay+ app even so I do collect clubcard points.

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.