Apple Pay - Any updates?

Hi Harvey!

We don’t support any mobile payments system on Monzo cards currently but it’s something we’d love to implement once we launch full current accounts later this summer! :tada:

4 Likes

More info :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This is handy, I follow a couple devs on Trello so nice to see Monzo has one!

Got to be soon surely?

They are not going to implement Android Pay and Apple Pay while we have prepaid cards, but it is in their plans for after current accounts are launched

2 Likes

This is something I look forward to also!

1 Like

Ah thanks. I’m actually getting quite attached to the process of using a pre-pay card now. Looking forward to an account and Apple Pay tho!

I fully understand the whole Apple Pay scenario but I’ve always wondered why Monzo have never done it for the prepay seeing as the likes of Boon do it and they are also via Wirecard?

I thought it would just be a case of ‘turning it on’ as it were?

1 Like

It has to be built from the ground up, and it’s not easy to just port it over from the PrePay to the Current Account. As the plan was always to move over to the Current Account and retire the PrePay it wouldn’t make sense to build it twice.

5 Likes

You ruined a good joke by unnecessarily changing the spelling there. :frowning:

2 Likes

Hi not sure if it’s been brought up before but are there plans to enable the use of Apple Pay with monzo as I mostly use on iPhone or Apple Watch to make payments now. And this card is next gen I thought it’s a bit behind the times to not have Apple Pay capability. I like that I can use Apple Pay to top up my card. But it would be nice if I could use it to spend the money on there too. Thanks
Wayne

Hi @Morbeyw Yeaaah, it has been brought up few times, so I moved your post here. :wink: Feel free to browse back to see what community thought about it.

Apple Pay is on the roadmap:

Mobile NFC Payments :credit_card::phone:
in list Near Term (Next 3—6 Months)

1 Like

Just curious, since this is linked to the 3-6 month timeline… does that mean it will require a current account?

1 Like

Yes, there won’t be any new features for the prepaid accounts.

3 Likes

Thanks, good to know :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve recently got the current account but I miss the convenience of Apple Pay - I might switch back to Starling in the meantime but I hate their UI… so, does anyone know how long it’ll be for Apple Pay? :blush:

Tom stated at the current account previews that Monzo cannot comment on the availability of Apple Pay due to the Non-Disclosure Agreement they had to sign when they applied to Apple. It could start tomorrow, it could start in 6 months. Monzo are not allowed to comment until its to launch. Android Pay however they can apparently talk about.

9 Likes

how intriguing! why would monzo need to sign a NDA?

Apple! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I guess, Apple being so ‘high profile’, they wouldn’t want smaller businesses making a name by saying for a year that ‘Apple Pay soon’, without knowing if arrangement goes through or not.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Android Pay 3