Apple Pay - Any updates?

Yes your Apple Watch is held up to the terminal, but don’t you also need your phone with you as well?? So it’s your watch and phone for Apple Pay. If I’m going out to a pub, I’d need both, unlike at the minute I can take just 1 card and that’s it. The card also allows me to withdraw cash, I’m not sure Apple Pay will let you withdraw cash from a cash point yet? So if you want cash as well as Apple Pay, it’s a card, phone and watch? (Or get cash back).

I’m not convinced it’s progress.

1 Like

Nope. You don’t need your iPhone to use Apple Pay on the Watch.

I bank with Natwest. Their mobile app (and Watch app, in fact) generates a code you can tap into an ATM to get cash. No card required. (caveats - only works at RBS/Natwest/Tesco ATMs, probably does require an Internet connection). Still pretty neat and a sign of things to come.

1 Like

The Barclays contactless ATM will vend up to £100 rather than £30 but will require use of their proprietary Android app

1 Like

@anon44204028 @anon72173902
Android Pay supports greater than £30 NFC transactions, yet the terminals themselves (at least in Morrisons, Tesco & Asda) are all hard limited to £30 from what I’ve found :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Same with Apple Pay.

To go above the current no-CVM contactless limit of £30, the entire chain must support Consumer Device Cardholder Verification Method (CDCVM). Effectively allowing your device to vouch that you authorised the transaction using your device password, fingerprint or such, rather than entering a card PIN on the merchant terminal.

Apple have a reasonably good page about it here but the same basic idea applies across Android Pay, Microsoft Wallet and (theoretically, not tested personally) the NFC portion of Samsung Pay. https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT202527

As for merchant support, there’s a very incomplete list here. http://contactless.life/retailers/

3 Likes

Disappointing that Apple Pay hasn’t came to ‘fruitation’ yet; but understandable that it will be after migration from pre-paid now.

Apple Pay is the only reason I’m not using Monzo as much as I want to be; because I don’t want to have to take my wallet everywhere! It’s great just to be able to use a gadget such as a watch or phone to make payments which I already have on me :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’m really looking forward to Apple Pay. Although the current account just edges it out for anticipation levels for me.

4 Likes

Mate give up lol it’s all belony. In my opinion they will introduce Apple Pay when they want not when we want and that Attitude has really angered me

My case is proven !!! If you’re not fast your last, obviously I believe the management of Mondo have got this dreadfully wrong I to use a different bank purely because it has Apple Pay had Monzo had Apple Pay in a timeframe we would like we would be banking with them now, It’s not rocket science

They just don’t understand what we’re on about when we tell them we do not want to use a card or get your wallet out we want to use our phone, they just keep telling us to do it their way! Oh my God how patronising

Just a point here there are many people out there don’t want an overdraft like me or need an overdraft, how are they going to earn money out customers like me?

Not carrying a wallet around will be pretty great! @aarong :pray:

I’m also looking forward to when we get to add Apple Pay – can’t wait for those current accounts to launch so we can do that :muscle:

12 Likes

Banks use your money to loan to other customers, in form of loans and overdrafts etc. So even if you don’t use these services, your money is technically used for others :thumbsup:

loads of them aren’t anymore - co-op and boots i’ve spent over £30

1 Like

Damn I sent that a long time ago haha :wink:

Indeed they are! It’s awesome to finally see, it took them a while to do but they certainly have. I was hesitant the first time (don’t recall which shop anymore) but I’m glad that the adoption of mobile payments over £30 is picking up! :smiley: I’m still not sure if Asda or Tesco support £30+ payments yet… I may have to try that out, I’ve been using Monzo for 99% of my transactions so Android Pay has been ignored for a few months :joy:

1 Like

It definitely looks like it’s worth a try, at any merchant’s that didn’t accept payments over £30, again :tada:

1 Like

I’ll have to give it a go once I can add cards to Android Pay again… I’m running the Android O developer preview! Which doesn’t let me add a card to Android Pay :rolling_eyes: Silly Google, well I guess I could’ve just stuck to stable releases haha :wink:

I shall update this thread if I get a chance to test it out though :smiley:

1 Like

Asda sadly don’t :frowning:
I think tesco do though - but I generally use their quick pay app as it
does your clubcard too

Do Monzo cards have Apple Wallet support? If not, when will this come into play? I’d like to be able to use my card via Apple Pay as I find it overly helpful.

When the current accounts launch it will be supported but possibly not from the outset.

3 Likes