Apple Pay - Any updates?

I don’t think there will be Apple Pay until Monzo turns into a proper bank.

1 Like

This is correct, assume no updates until after current accounts launch.

Maybe I’ve missed the boat with apple/android pay?? I don’t see the huge fascination with it all. Having said I don’t live in London where it’s bigger, but a banking card (credit or debit) has served me well for years and will do for many years to come.

I understood that it was supposed to be safer, but saw the other day that hackers had bypassed this as well, so I struggle to see what the big deal is.

Given a choice between Apple/Android pay or just plain old Monzo, it’s Monzo all the way. Apple Pay etc will come soon enough for those who desperately want it.

4 Likes

Yep, we’ll be doing this once we launch a current account :slight_smile: It’ll be a priority at that point — we know how much you want it!

3 Likes

Great for those who want it.

I’ve got my hot coral Monzo card instead, I’m much happier with that than I am Apple/Android pay.

1 Like

Yeah I am also in this… I am vaguely aware of it but not really seen its appeal ?? So I hold my phone up for contactless instead of my card… Hardly a huge selling point for me.

So can we not add our monzo cards to (in my case) android pay currently ?? Does it reject the pre paid card / monzo ??

It will perform a card check with Google…and that’s as far as you’ll get! Some sort of error message will pop-up saying it’s not supported.

I hold my Apple Watch up to pay, and it’s brilliant! Barely need my wallet anymore.

Also, Apple Pay is more secure than contactless cards (the watch will lock if someone pulls it off your wrist, and the phone is secured via your fingerprint).

1 Like

Does this mean that we’ll only be able to use Apple Pay on current account cards? Or we will still be able to use Monzo pre paid cards on apply pay too?

If I understand correctly, once Monzo rolls out current accounts, there will be no more prepaid cards.

1 Like

In the long term this is true but there will be a fair few months of overlap once we launch as a bank. We’ll be testing current accounts with a small pool of users first, and then gradually scaling up from there. No one will be forced to switch from prepaid to debit card right away!

1 Like

Not to derail this thread but, just out of curiosity :hushed:: do you know how Monzo will select this “small pool of users”? Will you ask who is willing to move to Beta bank account, so to speak? Will you select at random? Will you roll out to the earlier adopters and then offer full accounts in order of Monzo registration date?

1 Like

Nothing confirmed on how we plan to do this yet :slightly_smiling_face: We’ll be sure to keep everyone updated!

The very first testers will most likely be Monzo staff, so we can iron out any teething problems without disrupting service.

3 Likes

This is not good news :tired_face: I mean full props goes to you guys and gals for going to full bank status, but you should keep there prepaid option open, it was really the big selling point for me.
I mean going to get food - only put on how much j want to spend, physically can’t spend over that, works so well on nights out too, just top up the exact amount you want to spend that night, and then no worries!

2 Likes

Phasing out of the prepaid cards was always going to be the case, at the moment (as far as I am aware) these cards aren’t cheap and Monzo is already operating at a loss as it doesn’t have a revenue model yet.

Once Monzo get current accounts, their earnings will come from overdrafts etc, and I’d imagine they wouldn’t want these margins eaten up by supporting the prepaid cards.

1 Like

You can still do this once Monzo switches to a current account.
Just transfer to amount you want to “top up” into you new Monzo current account and carry spending like you do now.

2 Likes

I didn’t think it was possible to pay straight into bank accounts from things like Apple Pay, or debit cards that easily, I thought for account transactions it had to be authorised from the original bank account

You could pay yourself into your Monzo account using apple pay on http://monzo.me
But once the current account launches they will probably other options too. Either way you should still be able to carry on using monzo in the way you are now.

1 Like

I can’t wait for Apple Pay and I can’t wait for Barclays to open up their NFC machines as then I will leave my card at home.

I wonder though with the NFC machines will limit us to £30 only?

1 Like

it is contactless and pin not contactless and no pin as far as I heard