Apple : Fall 2018 Event, new iPhones etc

You’d be surprised at how close to the wire it goes.

If you want something to be leading edge, you can’t spec it too far ahead.

Oh, I completely get that, and I’m sure there will be things that crop up that put a spanner in the works.

But in this instance (XR being delayed), I’m struggling to see what it could be.

If it’s a display issue… Why? It has virtually the same display as the 8Plus (all be it a different size/shape).

The internals are also the same as the XS.

Could be the aluminium casing I guess.

I wonder how many people would have bought the XR (who have ordered the XS or XS Max), just because it’s out first.

Where?

It’s not the same display as the 8, it’s completely retooled as it has round corners and a notch!

On the apple trade in thing, the link you posted,
I appreciate its better than nothing but seeing as its 4 years old and only worth that little because they bring a new one out each year is a little disappointing

That’s what I said in not so many words! :joy:

Either way, no one will ever know the exact reason - It doesn’t bother me greatly, I’m sure the XR will be the biggest seller by a mile.

I’m personally looking forward to my Apple Watch!

Its to do with packaging an LCD panel with small bezels.

I just did it again

Maybe its the size? Mines the 38mm, image

Yeah mine’s the 42mm

I hadn’t even noticed this, but you’re right; There’s absolutely no mention of ECG on the Apple UK site!

That’s pretty disappointing to say the least!

1 Like

I’d be pretty surprised if the hardware was different. Give it some time and the feature will appear.

I hope so, but given their recent spate of America only instead of America first makes me wonder otherwise. Apple Pay Cash anyone?

I get that they’re an American company and they’re going to put their home market first but they do seem to have slowed down recently on that front.

1 Like

I think it’s more that the regulatory framework is so much more open in the US.

1 Like

This was the first time I watched an Apple Event “live”. I used to have Android phones and wasn’t really much into Apple tech (well, I have an iPad Mini 2). I recently got an iPhone SE, though, and have started using Apple Pay.

I’m due to replace my 3-year old Garmin watch (which I use mainly for running), and I wanted to be convinced by the new Apple Watch instead. I was actually more convinced with all that I’d read up before the event, but the new screen was the icing on the cake.

I ordered as soon as they’d let me. :smiley: I did go for the Nike version, which means waiting until 5th October. Noticed that all delivery dates were pushed back to mid-October shortly after ordering, so presumably they don’t have many in their first delivery.

3 Likes

Yeh it’s a shame it’s not operational plus the cost isn’t any different to the US version

Question for Apple Watch owners (didn’t feel it needed it’s own thread).

Do you have Apple Pay set up, and do you mind having to put a passcode in on the watch?

No as only need to enter passcode once a day when put watch on.

5 Likes

I have it set up, but rarely ever put in the passcode. Unlocking phone with watch on wrist unlocks watch too for as long as it stays on.

3 Likes

Not something I’ve ever thought of. Our iOS security policy on Office365 requires the watch to have a passcode which means I’ve had a passcode on my watch since I had it.

That said the only times I get prompted are:

1. After a reboot
  2. After taking the watch off
  3. If the computer won’t unlock for one of the reasons above. (I use it to unlock my Mac)
1 Like