Apple : Fall 2018 Event, new iPhones etc

Read about it on here…

1 Like

Three have really good plans if you have coverage.

I was with them for a year on the 30GB plan and they offered me 100GB at the same price if I would stay! But the coverage was such that I never actually got close to the 30GB.

So I’d recommend checking them out where you would normally use your phone before signing up.

Plus, they suck for roaming - loads of places covered but they won’t pay partners for 4G so you are stuck with crappy slow 3G when you go abroad.

Additionally, I get the impression that they throttle data when roaming. I listen to a lot of podcasts and while in the U.K. a one hour podcast might take 30-60 seconds to download, in Europe they can take 40-60 minutes .

1 Like

Just to clarify: you don’t need to upgrade with the upgrade programme. It’s an interest-free loan for the iPhone and AppleCare+, where Apple will pay-off the remainder of the loan after the equivalent of 11 monthly payments, if you upgrade.

iPhone Payments is the same, except there is no option to upgrade, and no AppleCare+.

2 Likes

Anyone looking for a good size comparison check this out:

https://www.hotspot3d.com/

1 Like

It’s funny how close the Xr is to the Xs Max (and so, how big the “default” iPhone is).

Went for the Max. I’m hoping to make it last 3 years before upgrading to new one and in that time be great to see some decent innovation and make new purchase worthwhile.

Edit. Just read that the Apple Watch ECG feature is only available to US customers. U.K. watch 4 should be lower price point as big feature is missing.

The feature exists on the device, it’s just deactivated in software - probably pending regulatory approval. It’ll come.

I’d be amazed if it was approved before the next Apple Watch release.

I would never buy a Watch for these features, so I’m not too concerned by it, but given it’s not actually live in the US yet (was there a date thrown around for it’s release?), I’d guess the UK was a long way behind.

I dunno. I don’t think they’d put such a standout hardware feature on a device if they didn’t think they’d get approval in other markets fairly quickly.

I’m probably wrong. I often am.

Haha - I know the feeling (about being wrong!).

I’ve just seen Apple tout a few things recently, which have ended up taking far longer to get to market than they initially implied.

I can imagine approval in the UK being a proper ball ache - But that’s a guess! Anyone have an informed opinion?

It’s definitely a feature I’d be interested in. There’s AF in my family and if it helps track my heart and if I were to get it I might catch it early. I wasn’t planning on getting the AW4 but I’m disappointed it’s not available - yet

1 Like

Ironically it was the XR which stole the show for the phones - which also took them longer!

The cynic in me says this is a month behind to take advantage of all the people who want a new phone straight away (so they’ll pay the extra for an Xs Max, instead of waiting for the XR).

I can’t imagine why else it would be held back?

There were reports across the summer of supply issues.

1 Like

They had issues with combining the LCD and thin bezels.

1 Like

Hmmm, always suspicious of things like this :joy:

2 Likes

If Jobs was still around I’d join you in your suspicions as he was a master at managing the public.

But with the tribe at the helm now? They appear to only be able to say amazing and awesome a lot.

Perhaps - I just find it amazing that a company as well drilled as Apple, can have supply issues when they know exactly what they are making years in advance.

Just like the whole “demand is outweighing supply” argument - I just don’t buy it personally :joy:

£35 for my series one watch :see_no_evil: