Add Account Number & Sort Code to the Debit Card

This is a feature I would like to see, it would make for more convenience. Furthermore, I have had an issue with Royal Mail rejecting a Monzo current account card as ID, a frivolous reason was given, but still a minor annoyance.

1 Like

Not thatā€™s this helps you, but Iā€™ve used my :monzo: :credit_card: a few times as ID to pick up packages from the ā€˜localā€™ Royal Mail sorting office. I have a card with my name on it.

1 Like

What was the reason, out of curiosity?

As mentioned by jzw95, they havenā€™t had problems, so this was likely an isolated incident. However, the person picked fault that the card wasnā€™t by a ā€œreal bankā€, therefore wouldnā€™t accept it as ID. :confounded:

1 Like

Did you point out their banking licence?

1 Like

No, however this would not have made much of a difference, as this individual took it upon herself to decide this. To clarify this is not an issue directly with Royal Mail, but rather an incident with a particular member of staff, who did not recognise it and hence would not acknowledge the Monzo card as ID.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Iā€™ve seen this topic come up in the past and I wanted to say its a shame that the account number and sort code arenā€™t printed on the debit card like most other banks. I know its been said that it wonā€™t happen because its a security risk, which isnā€™t something I agree with. Its just annoying having to write down my account number and sort code when I want to move money between apps. -1 to Monzo

Little tip. You should be able to copy and paste them between apps rather than writing it down.

I tend to do this as it further reduces me entering it in wrong.

Also I believe another reason for not having them on the card is that they donā€™t actually form part of the card itā€™s self, Itā€™s a number tied to your account not your card.

1 Like

Also I believe another reason for not having them on the card is that they donā€™t actually form part of the card itā€™s self, Itā€™s a number tied to your account not your card.

This is the main reason and keeping it this way leaves the door open for future possibilities like multiple cards on one account or using a single card for multiple accounts (personal & joint) and switching which account it goes to in the app like Curve.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve gone ahead and merged this topic with an existing one just to keep the chat all in one place. Hope thatā€™s ok :+1:t3:

1 Like

Very true I suppose itā€™s just about keeping your options open.

1 Like

As far as Iā€™m aware, thatā€™s not what Monzo has said, that was speculation by people on the forum. The official reason (further :arrow_up: this thread) is to allow dynamically linking the card to different accounts.

On thisā€¦

Which banks are you aware of that are considering developing a more dynamic relationship between card and account(s) in the future? The examples you give are banks that see the debit card as being tied to a specific account. Would be very interested in any banks innovating in this area (aside from Curve, Iā€™m aware of them, and theyā€™re not a bank).

The only one I know of is bunq which issues one card with different PINs to debit different accounts held by one customer.

Contactless defaults to the ā€˜mainā€™ account.

1 Like

Yes.

1 Like

Our old friend Mirow mentioned this a while back here:

He does mention the rotating CVV too in another thread:

1 Like

CVV and PIN are completely different things. The CVV is the security code (normally on the back signature strip). @j06 was referring to the 4-digit PIN used to authorise an in-person transaction, which Bunq apparently uses to allow access to different accounts with one card.

@j06 thanks for the reminder. I note that thereā€™s no account number or sort code (or IBAN) on the Bunq card!

1 Like