Bank Account Number/Sort Code On Debit Card

Today I had to unlock my phone, open the app, verify my fingerprint and then click through to the page just to get my bank account number/sort code.

Why can’t we just have it printed on the debit card?

6 Likes

Surely it’s handier having it available in app? I often don’t take my wallet with me as Google Pay works fine. I always have my mobile with me.

2 Likes

I believe it’s always been left absent from the cards for security reasons :slight_smile:

It’s information that you don’t want to make too easily available :raised_hands:

1 Like

That doesn’t make sense when it’s displayed on every payment in monzo

2 Likes

You only send money to people / places you trust, surely? :smiley:

I was merely stating the reasons I’ve heard as opposed to weighing in on whether I agree or not :wink:

2 Likes

I am confused, surely all it lets someone do is give you money?
I’m looking at ditching my smartphone in the near future so perhaps this bank isn’t for me.

1 Like

Yeah you definitely need a smartphone to get the most out of Monzo

3 Likes

It’s a lot easier to change a card number than an account number :slight_smile:

If you lose your card we can quickly reissue you with another and block the old one. Doing the same for an account number is more involved and would mess up your Direct Debits, salary payments etc.

11 Likes

Every other debit card I have has the sort code and account number on it

5 Likes

Unfortunately not :grimacing: It can be used to debit from your account

Jeremy Clarkson thought the same thing a few years back :stuck_out_tongue:

None of my debit cards have both Sort & Account number :slightly_smiling_face: @Anarchist

Natwest has a sort code on their cards but that’ it :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I’ve got Santander and Nationwide debit card with both. I guess some banks think it’s OK. Others beg to differ.

1 Like

Barclays and dozens have both

2 Likes

Most banks have/had sort code and account number printed on their debit cards. However, like many other banking norms, that doesn’t mean it has to be done that way or that it’s necessarily a good idea.

8 Likes

@hughwells what situation could lead to a new account number being required

I just have mine wrote on the back with a marker. :man_shrugging:

Not having it printed on the card also gives monzo the ability to allow you to connect the card to different accounts or pots in the future (potentially) kind of like curve.

3 Likes

Monese also prints it on their UK cards.

You’re protected by the direct debit guarantee scheme should this happen aren’t you?

1 Like

I imagine so :grin: but is it worth the hassle? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Use a permanent marker to write it on your card, problem solved :slight_smile:

2 Likes