Add Account Number & Sort Code to the Debit Card

I know there have been some comments about the visual style of the cards. (Personally, I think the Hot Coral is great!) But on a more practical note, it would be useful if the account number and sort code details are printed on the card in future. I often have to go looking for my details and it is annoying to have to switch between apps to find them when I could just look at my card.

16 Likes

They wonā€™t be on the card for security reasons Iā€™m afraid.

I can see how this would occasionally be useful for me too but ultimately, personally I think itā€™s worth the trade off.

Iā€™ve moved your post here so that we can keep all of the information about the debit cards in one place. I hope thatā€™s ok.

3 Likes

Iā€™m with you on this. So, so, so many transactions need both the details and if I come out the Monzo app, I have to log back in and sometimes this also loses the information I put on the form Iā€™m purchasing from!

Iā€™ve got it written down on my desk - far less secure.

Surely if I can cancel the card immediately there is no security risk to having them on there - all my other cards do and they have less speedy ways of blocking!

6 Likes

Thanks for the reply. Other banks provide these details on cards (Iā€™m looking at my Lloyds Bank one right now). So I canā€™t see why itā€™s not something that can be overcome. Again, with Monzo being so reliant on the app - and with the details not provided in any other place, I donā€™t think placing them on the card is a huge ask.

It would, for me be a potential deal breaker.

7 Likes

My legacy bank printed the sort code, not not the account number on the card.

I actually prefer not to have those details available; if you lose your card someone has access to your Sort Code, Account Number and the 3-digit Security Number. All before you realise youā€™ve lost/mislaid the card and been able to freeze it.

If Iā€™m going to be setting up anything that requires those numbers, it takes no more than a few seconds to write them down ahead of making the call, opening up an app, or using a website.

4 Likes

NatWest used security as a concern for this in the past too. However, most high street banks have adopted this now as it makes things easier for customers. I agree that having all the details on the card could cause an issue, but with Monzoā€™s ā€œFreezeā€ function it is far more secure than some banks (also more secure than having them on a piece of paper on your desk!) :wink:

3 Likes

Youā€™re protected for unauthorised use of your card. One transaction and Monzo would notify you - you then realise itā€™s not you and block.

There are so many security features of Monzo that actually allow these details to be printed quite safely. Nothing is 100% secure but there is a decent safety net for Monzo users.

3 Likes

I personally just donā€™t think that they are needed on the cardā€¦

5 Likes

Thatā€™s fine - I just donā€™t see the actual reasons being very strong in terms of safety.

The idea of writing something down each time you need your account details sounds terrible - itā€™s even worse than (some) legacy banks make you do and defeats the concept of a mobile-only bank.

One minor UI change that could make this easier (for iOS users at least) is to have the details on the left hand side of the screen. That way you can double tap and view the details in the preview without coming out of the app/webpage youā€™re entering the details onto.

3 Likes

Maybe write them on the back of the card with a Sharpie lol :smile:

2 Likes

Contemplated it - but it would look awful.

1 Like

Haha - Iā€™m sure there will be a solution there somewhere. Printed on the card or not, some people will prefer it, others wonā€™t. Unless there is a choice, which Iā€™m sure there wonā€™t be, not everyone will be completely happy.

1 Like

I accept the outcome will be as it is now, but I can still have a moan every now and then - just like the referendum :wink:

4 Likes

Yeah! And if other banks do offer this as an option it might mean that I go. Iā€™ll monitor how annoying it is before I decide.

1 Like

I see this turned into the type of discussion that we usually have whenever thereā€™s questionā€™s around security. So Iā€™ve moved this back to itā€™s own topic :slight_smile:

1 Like

Itā€™s not a question of whether or not itā€™s possible to include these details on the card but printing them is less secure.

As Jonathonā€™s pointed out, there are other security features that help protect Monzo users too but thereā€™s always opportunities to increase security further & it looks like the teamā€™s identified this as one of those.

1 Like

Your sort code and account number arenā€™t ā€œunauthorised use of your cardā€. Theyā€™re nothing to do with the card, hence it making no sense to write them on the card. I donā€™t really get itā€¦ how often do you need your bank account number?

2 Likes

Often enough for it to be quite annoying to not have them on the card!

5 Likes

I was just thinking about how it would be convenient to have sort code and account number on the card but then they are in the app and I always have my phone with me so donā€™t really see the need these days.

3 Likes

I can see the need to have your account number and sort code to hand when maybe first setting up the Monzo CA and transferring DDā€™s and SOā€™s to it - but once the bulk of those have been done, I canā€™t think of any reasons where I regularly need access to my account number and sort code for it to be an issue not having the numbers on the card.

3 Likes