Add Account Number & Sort Code to the Debit Card

Sounds like what they’re planning to introduce in the new layout for current accounts!

1 Like

To be honest, I would assume most of any App work would now be on the CA app, which security/bug fixes only on the prepaid App.

I’m currently with NatWest (Monzo current account card is en route!), and have not had those details on my card for as long as I can remember… The way I see it, if you need the details infrequently, then checking the app is no big deal. If you need them frequently then remembering them shouldn’t be a big deal. Leave them off!

5 Likes

The debit card doesn’t have your account number or sort code on them. I think that’s a mistake. I can’t tell you how often I use my bank card for that information. Having it on the app isn’t useful when you need your details for something else you are doing on your phone.

4 Likes

Moved your post here as there has already been some discussion on this topic.

It’s actually more useful to have it in the app, as you can copy/paste it from the monzo app into whatever you need without having to type it.

I can’t remember the last time I needed that information though except to setup DDs (which I’m doing rather a lot of today, but it still wouldn’t be any easier if the numbers were on the card).

trying to look it up in the app while on a call with someone is a pain, far easier to read it off a card

1 Like

In the case I’d be doing that (like now) I have all the information I need on a spreadsheet in front of me as it’s also account and reference numbers for the companies I need to call etc.

I prefer the reduction in fraud risk by not having it around. I’d prefer if they hadn’t put my name on it either, but most people seem to prefer cards with names…

I’m sure they’ll make it an option if it’s popular enough.

You will be able to get a nameless card in the future, yes.

I love the idea of “Share account details” :+1:

A couple of things. FIrstly, the cut n’ paste doesn’t always work. It seems pretty temperamental. Secondly, some apps shut down when you move away from them, so in order to cut and paste my details, I have to re-open the other app over and over. Finally, most places as for the sort code as three separate numbers, not one separated by hyphens.

In short, having the numbers on the card is useful in all sorts of situations for which the cut n’ paste isn’t useful.

Also, the security thing is a misnomer. Account details and sort codes are given out so often these days numbers on a card don’t help much. Also, in order to use these people need more details. The trick is to keep passwords etc. up to date and make any special information not obvious.

2 Likes

Take the points from both sides.

The security issue keeps being mentioned from the position of the end user however I would prefer the bank not to be tied up having to chase some company for the money that some loser terrorist has used my sortcode and account number to set up a DD for.

Also looked at legacy card and it looks cluttered and some of the text print on reverse isn’t legible.

So for me:

1. Aesthetics wins out.
  2. Security aspect to reduce company cost.
  3. I find it sad that it has become difficult for our memories to handle an 8 digit number.
1 Like

Personally, I like that it doesn’t have them on the front. My name is so long that having them on there would just make it a more cluttered.

1 Like

Personally, I hardly use my account number and that’s why I don’t remember it or my sort code, so having anyone ask me for the details to do a transfer is a huge hassle (manually searching for the card and keying it in into a chat message), but I’ve memorised my 16-digit card number (on 4 different cards) because I’ve had to key it in so often.

1 Like

Here’s an interesting article… now I know this won’t apply to most of us here but…

Admit it; the read was worth the chuckle

2 Likes

Some interesting comments here.

1. While I agree that things should look beautiful. Monzo is being built to be practical and useful. I have every faith that the team could address this without compromising on the design of the card/app. Good design is practical too.
  2. I do think that security here is not really an argument. We provide our details so often, and with contactless payments becoming ever popular, we’ constantly “risk” our financial security.
  3. Yes, the way we consume data is changing and we, for the most part, are becoming lazy, perhaps. However, some people generally have difficulties memorising informaiton. Surely, Monzo (and this community) should be embracing the challenge of helping as many people as possible?
2 Likes

I’d like to know why there is no bank account number or sort code printed on the current account card. I realize it is available in the app but am just curious as to why they are not printed.
Thanks

1 Like

Easier to change if not printed, cuts a (possibly minor, to be fair) security risk, no need. I just wish they’d get rid of the embossing of the PAN and other details.

The account number and sort code might not actually be the primary account identifier at Monzo. It’s possible that your account may have multiple sort codes and account numbers associated with it in the future. (Think about it: a sort code / account number combination that can be used to send money to you but can’t be used to set up direct debits could be quite handy! And when the “pots” feature is implemented, having different account numbers to receive money into each pot could also be useful.)

6 Likes

If you mean primary key? It isn’t. Based on the API you have a customer ID and an account ID, so your prepaid and Current Account have different IDs. It remains to be seen whether external accounts will a) be available through the API in some way b) if so in the same account format as Monzo products, or whether they have a separate section

2 Likes