Why Monzo think Android app is on par with iOS

Yup, certainly not obvious, I switched from iOS to Android not long ago, and when I tap search it looked to me like I can only search for things by feed item name, so I didn’t use it and went straight to scrolling back through the feed to find what I was looking for, in this case all my transactions from my holiday in Greece and Italy.

1 Like

There will always be a difference between iOS and Android… their completely different systems. I’ve had apps better on droid than iOS and other way round. I’m sure Monzo is damned if it does and damned if it doesn’t.
But I’m just saying well done Monzo your efforts are appreciated, keep up the good work🤗

2 Likes

Thanks for this @Jami appreciate that Monzo is taking note. But just wanted to say it’s not just search though for Android app to be equal to iOS at least bring in full fingerprint support (missing for PIN) have a Android Widget and have help section improve among other things.

No one is asking for absolute parity and if Monzo had not said it has done Android app = iOS this thread would not have been started.

Appreciate this a lot but fact is on Big List blog it still says Bring Android fully up to speed with iOS is done and tweets from Monzo still feel bit odd.

1 Like

If search works on Android then it is better then iOS as search does not work on iOS

3 Likes

I’ll take some responsibility for this, too. “Android = iOS” clearly isn’t a 100% accurate description of the situation, and we could have worded it differently. (We’re literally pushed to the character limit on the update tweets, but I’ll be more aware of it in future!)

13 Likes

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: A new Search

Thank you for not just saying that the wording is fine like some others…

2 Likes

I have an Android phone but use the Monzo app on my iPad at home so have seen both interfaces. The smooth way to switch between accounts within the app is so much better in iOS than Android. Surprised no one has mentioned this already. For this feature difference alone, there isn’t parity between the apps.

1 Like

I’m not an Android user so it doesn’t massively affect me.

But isn’t it simple?

Question: “Can this feature be implemented on both platforms in the same manner?

Answer: Yes.

Result: Not parity

Answer: No.

Result: Parity (as far as possible)

If search is on iOS, then maybe just say “this can’t be done on Android” or, if it can, do it.

Are you winding us up? :thinking:

2 Likes

Not at all - if you think there is something missing from one or the other I’d love to know so I can look into it :+1:

2 Likes

As mentioned in this thread :point_up: and others, from memory, all available in iOS and missing in Android:

• Search
  • Sneak Peaks (from the Help tab)
  • The Graph differences
  • Bill Splitting lab
2 Likes

Android have better options on frequency of payments

1 Like

As I mentioned, I don’t think we should include labs given they are in there for testing :slight_smile: The feature will gradually be supported across both platforms and then come out of labs.

I think this is at parity? Sure, there are bugs on both of them and they work in different ways but I’d say they are broadly the same.

That redirects to the forum if I remember correctly?

Again, I think this is broadly the same on both platforms. What do you feel is different?

Interesting - thanks! What options is iOS missing?

Is the account switcher between personal and JA the same on both?

From what I’ve seen, Android can select a number of weeks etc, iOS can’t, it’s just every day, every week, every month or every year. Not good if you need quarterly or fortnightly options

Sneak peaks is a section of the app, not a link to the forum btw but with making Monzo it’s not really needed now, there’s more up to date info on that twitter

1 Like

Fair enough :slight_smile:

iOS have a whole toolbar UI with multiple filter options (category, people (?), amount greater than/less than, attachment, locations etc) whereas Android just has a plain text input.

As I remember, iOS had a menu which showed the sneak peeks, separate to the community links. It was promised that this was “coming soon” to Android. Here’s the blog post: https://monzo.com/blog/2018/05/09/sneak-peeks/

On iOS, I think there’s an information popup on the graph which shows the balance/spent at that particular point. This does not exist on Android. I don’t know if it’s just Android, but the graph annoyingly bounces/snaps when scrolling.

Also - there’s no widget for Android. I understand the iOS one is buggy, but at least one exists :slight_smile:

4 Likes

It might have changed since I used the Android app, but the search function on Android was far, FAR less powerful than iOS.

Merely having a “Search” bar does not make it equal or “parity”.

2 Likes

That’s a fair point - the iOS version does have it’s fair share of bugs however so these both may end up getting some love in future.

I believe this is on Android - it’s at the bottom of help :slight_smile:

It doesn’t need to - the same information is displayed :slight_smile: As you scroll back you’ll see the balance/spent today update.

I don’t know when/if we would do an Android widget - I think widgets in general have become a lot less popular.

These are the same options as on Android :+1:

1 Like

“may” :cry: I would say Android search needs some love, no matter how buggy the iOS one is.

Just the link to the community section, yes. But not the built-in functionality as described in the blog post.

OK! :+1:

That’a a shame :confused: