Why do paypoint merchants not accept monzo top up?

It was quite a while ago I wrote my original post so I thought I might chip in again and explain a bit further and yes this is only one shopkeepers opinion but my explanation of this situation may help others understand. Many retailers have had paypoint for a long time that is true but they have been seriously eroding commission over the years. 15 years ago my paypoint made a profit then it slid until it was costing me money to run. Over the last 5 years or so pp has added more services, these are predominantly bill paying and banking. Customers are paying in large amounts which in turn cost more to bank. In my case 70p in the £100. These types of transaction are killing small businesses. Pp contracts are 5 years in length and hard to get out of. Customers are hard to convert and approx 90% bought nothing else. (This could be due to location, I can’t answer for all shops) I am surrounded by supermarkets.
When Monzo customers are refused some of this may be due to poor training but the vast majority just don’t want the payment as it is costly to them, they will make all sorts of excuses as to why they can’t take the payment.
Pp always instil into retailers they will loose business if the don’t have pp. this is not true in my case I removed pp approx one year ago, so did Another 2 Local shops. In my town that leaves only 2 pp retailers. This must tell you something.
If you have complaint please direct it to Monzo as I am not sure they understand the gravity of the situation.
I fully understand the situation of the Monzo customer, it must be so frustrating but this is the fault of Monzo and paypoint not the shop keeper.
We get enough abuse on a day to day basis.

3 Likes