What's the last bit of tech you bought?

Just bit the bullet on two Echo Studios for my home theatre set up.

Came so close the getting them last Prime Day but the Lightning Deal coupled with pay over 5 months put me over the top.

Damn you Amazon!

1 Like

Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING
Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X, 6 cores / 12 threads, 3.7GHz – 4.6GHz
RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 3200MHz DDR4

That’s probably going to be it for PC things for a while. Then it will be a couple of new graphics cards and a wall of monitors :desktop_computer::desktop_computer::desktop_computer::desktop_computer:

4 Likes

Ordered it Friday, paid extra for same day delivery instead of direct from Google. Then didn’t set it up until this morning! :smiley:

But really impressed with it. It’s a bit of a pain having to log into everything and remember passwords, the remote isn’t the best for that, but Amazon/Apple let you do it via your phone.

It’s slick, fast, I like the recommendations and it cost 1/3rd of AppleTV!

1 Like

My keyboard and mouse arrived today and wow :open_mouth:

I’ve always had a standard cheapish keyboard thinking that a ‘keyboard is a keyboard’ but how wrong was I.

This thing weighs a tonne in comparison and it’s just so solid, high quality and really nice to use. I can run my hand over the keys and they don’t move or make a noise - the satisfaction of each click and little effort needed to press is nice and relaxing too haha.

I love that it has USB and audio passthrough so I can plug my mouse and headphones straight into the keyboard so the wires aren’t too short or hanging around and audio controls at the top just make life a bit easier. All round 10/10 :star:

4 Likes

Should’ve gone for the Cherry MX Blues! clack clack clack.

I’ve got this thing arriving sometime in the near future - a little macropad with a rotary dial you can use for volume control etc.

2 Likes

As with pretty much anything, you get what you pay for!!! Sometimes I wish I was oblivious, just buying the regular stuff and wasn’t such a snob about getting the best.

3 Likes

I don’t know how the rest of my household do this. But they wouldn’t notice a difference between this keyboard and a £10 one off Amazon. Does not compute for me. It feels like I’m the only one in my house perceptible to the drawbacks and inconveniences of substandard stuff.

Not relevant to a topic on tech buys, but I think I’m starting to win them over with my hair care products. Not sure what magical stuff goes into these products that even my household are noticing their superiority to supermarket stuff. Meanwhile, after 24 hours, I’m the only one who is impressed with my Mac mini’s performance. I get very geeky and giddy only to be shot down with “It’s exactly the same as the old one”. :man_facepalming:

1 Like

It arrived! Glad you are impressed with it.

Curious about your hair care products :thinking:

2 Likes

It’s exceeded my expectations! Seems a bit of a shame to use it just as a home server! But I’m confident it’ll last me the decade.

Ouai

1 Like

I hate how pretentious that website is. I went to try and identify my hair type. What is this even meant to be?

When you eat hair gummies for dinner.
When you put in the work but can’t get that body.

3 Likes

It may look the same, but my ears can tell the difference and the silence is just lovely.

Got 9 years out of my old Mini and that wasn’t far from being top of the line when I bought it. 10+ plus for the M1 feels like it’ll be a breeze.

1 Like

I despise that as much as you, but I imagine we’re not the target audience for it. It annoyed me when they discontinued their entire shampoo line to go with a hair type approach than a problem based approach. Naturally, I ignored all this and just stockpiled the old clean shampoo formula until they eventually brought it back under the new name of Detox Shampoo.

I have too hard a time assimilating idioms as it is to bother trying to figure what my hair type is! Cosmetics industry marketing tactics aside, the products are pretty darn good, to the point I’ve stuck with them without feeling like they no longer do anything for my hair.

Same but with my colleagues. Somehow I shared my desk set up and there were so many comments on “wow, such a retro keyboard”.

Pains me!

2 Likes

This thread makes me feel like Steve Rogers in a room full of Tony Stark’s :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

3 Likes

I got suckered into a new coffee grinder I’ve had my eye on for a while. I got a promo email and I couldn’t resist the buy now button:

Wilfa Svart grinder:

I’ve got a bit of space in my new kitchen for a “coffee station” so this’ll help!

1 Like

I’m still waiting for my coffee machine to be delivered. It has been 4 weeks :sob:

1 Like

I sold my machine last week. Used it for 4 years and got back half of what I paid, so no complaints at all.

I’m now on caffeine detox.

2 Likes

I’m not sure I could do that! I only have 1 to 2 coffees a day but I’d miss that morning cup.

That’s pretty much the point of why I sold it. I’m tired of being a slave to caffeine! I needed that morning cup to function and I had real withdrawal symptoms when I didn’t get it.

I’ve given up a few things across the years. The first month is painful but after that it quickly gets easier.

So I might be in the market for a new keyboard for my PC.

Today’s the first morning of WFH in the new house, and my other half has already shut the door to me, and complained about how loud my keyboard is.

They’re MX Reds as well, barely make a noise compared to the MX Blue keyboard I have :confused: