Smartwatches!

Does anyone else have/wear one?

For me they are indispensable. I’ve been wearing an LG G-Watch (which, along with the Samsung Gear Live, was the first Android Wear watch) since July 2014. It lasted well, over 3 years, but I’ve now upgraded it to the new LG Watch Style which just arrived, and runs Android Wear 2.0.

First order of business - remove the leather strap which it unfortunately came with (I’m vegan) and replace it with a nice purple silicone one - much better.

Something that became immediately obvious - about a dozen watchfaces transferred over from my G-Watch (which was square) - every single one of them looks better on a round display than a square one. With that in mind, I can’t believe how badly Apple got this wrong. Without wishing to start an argument - and indeed my gf has an Apple Watch and it’s a competent enough bit of kit - it’s pretty clear to me that a circular smartwatch display is just way better, and not just on analog faces but digital ones too.

3 Likes

Apple Watch Series 0 here :sunglasses:

8 Likes

I hoped I was setting an example by posting a picture!

Therefore…

:wink:

Mostly I just like to see what kinda watchfaces people use!

1 Like

Happy to be repping a battered (but well loved) LG G-Watch R :smiley:
I find it so useful on the move and when at work/lectures - inseparable :slight_smile: It does have annoying things (the charger cradle, Android Wear 2.0 slowness) but I love it and would miss it desperately. Before I got a phone with a fingerprint sensor it was great for Bluetooth proximity unlock.
Most looking forward to upgrading to one with NFC which will handle Android Pay. I’m not a fan of the whole “separate device” trend with separate SIM cards and ringer/notifications disjointed from the slave phone…
I will probably end up upgrading to a Huawei Watch 2 :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah I love my huaewei… always on display, round, can get 3 days out of it with a following wind…

I only use it as a thing for notifications though… apps on a screen that small don’t seem to be particularly useful IMO.

Edit: Forgot about the proximity unlock. Killer feature :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I’ve gone through a couple of Android watches but have always found screen brightness/readability to be an issue. I’ve been reluctant to bump the brightness to maximum all the time too in case of screen burn :confused:

Yeah, not for me either. One of my friends told me he was looking forward to getting his new Apple Watch so he could take calls independently of his phone… I can’t relate! I prefer to message people unless I need an instant reply on something.

1 Like

Neither. I just don’t get the use case really? I can understand enough storage and Bluetooth support for headphones on a run but not really for a whole separate SIM card (and phone number!). I very much consider my watch an extension of my phone - it is great for seeing notifications as they arrive, sometimes I’ll reply to them on the watch, seeing directions from Citymapper and stuff…but not as a phone on it’s own :confused:

1 Like

Apple Watch Series 2 here.

Use it for health/notifications mainly. Also nice for Apple Pay and unlocking MacBook without the need for a password.

I seem to switch between these two watch faces.

IMG_2141IMG_2140

2 Likes

Apple Watch Series 1, just for notifications really. I barely interact with it besides that but not having to reach out for my phone every 5 minutes is a life-saver, not to mention the haptic feedback means I don’t actually miss notifications unlike the phone’s vibration which I can never feel given that it spends most of the time in my bag.

I might upgrade to a Series 3 (the new one with LTE) when Apple cuts the nonsense and allows me to provision my own SIM onto it - unfortunately for now it seems to be exclusive to a particular carrier here and I refuse to deal nor give any money to those scammers so it’ll have to wait.

2 Likes

I think you can still get the Series 3 on it’s own without EE and when your network launches it you can then connect.

I’ll hang on to my lovely Series 1 for quite a while I think - just like with what Monzo is going through with Apple Pay, there’s quite a lot of nonsense (and NDAs :neutral_face:) involved in becoming an “Apple supported carrier” and getting the holy grail which is required for any of the advanced functionality like visual voicemail, Wi-Fi calling and provisioning the watch’s eSIM/Apple SIM… I miss the times when all you needed to do was insert any SIM and it would just work.

2 Likes

I have WiFi calling though?

If you want Visual Voicemail download HulloMail, I’ve had it since BlackBerry days and it’s decent

1 Like

The eSIM is a GSM standard (which is far better than when apple tried to invent their own a few years ago).

In theory lots of new phones can adopt it, then all you’ll have to do to sign up to a provider is have them send you that, just like a normal SIM with fewer paperclips :stuck_out_tongue:

In fact you could have any number of eSIMs on a phone and switch between them… as there’s no physical reader required there’s no need for the phone designer to make dual SIM phones any more.

3 Likes

Yeah because you’re on one of the “official” carriers which have a carrier profile from Apple that makes it work. If you’re a new player and don’t have that then no native Wi-Fi calling for you (I work around it using a SIP client).

For voicemail used to get them delivered as e-mails but lately I disabled my voicemail altogether - I don’t find any downsides and anyone wanting to leave me a message is more than welcome to send me a text. :wink:

The issue with eSIM is that it puts control back into the hands of the evil carriers which is a bit of a problem… let’s say I would like a French SIM right now on my eSIM-equipped phone/tablet, how do I do it? I can get someone to send me a SIM from France and just insert it but no way to do the same with eSIM.

Not to mention the fact that multiple eSIMs will never exist/be popular, otherwise we would’ve already had nationwide roaming where any SIM can connect to any other carrier (and they pay each other for bandwidth just like in international roaming) - the carriers are against this whole concept.

1 Like

I’m interested to see how eSIM develops. I believe the new Google Pixel 2 and XL have it embedded. I should have a 2 XL before my next trip to the USA, it’d be good if I could use it to get some data for a few weeks, rather than buying a prepaid SIM like I usually do.

2 Likes

Give Google’s Project Fi a try. :wink:

Yep, that’s what I’m hoping to try :grinning: I’m actually staying in Mountain View on my next trip, my cousin works for Google. So it’d make sense.

2 Likes

It’s a shame that Project Fi is Android-only and I don’t see that changing any time soon. If I could get it on my iPhone I wouldn’t even bother with my own venture to be honest. I don’t really like Google but I still prefer them to any carrier I’ve used in the past.

Now I know who to bug for cool swag :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

(Unfortunately Google don’t to campus tours… because Google otherwise I’d bug for that too :joy::wink:)

1 Like