What's the last bit of tech you bought?

looks again at the slow cooker I’ve just wrapped as a moving in present

4 Likes

Spiraliser

Are slow cookers and spiralizers why regifting became a thing?

1 Like

Not a piece of tech I last bought but more a piece of tech I would like to buy and wondering if anyone here could help!

I’m planning a trip up a mountain and obviously there’s going to be some pretty amazing scenery that I’d like to take a few pictures of. Extreme altitude (+20,000 feet above sea level) and extreme cold (probably down to approximately -15°C) are not very nice conditions for tech!

My iPhone would take perfectly good pictures for my purposes but won’t survive the conditions - does anyone know of any decent cases that might be suitable I could take a look at?

The other option is to pick up a digital camera that is suitable for the conditions but I’m totally ignorant of the camera market (never bought one) and again would appreciate advice from anyone who is more clued up!

I’m not sure on the temp/altitude limits of an iPhone but in general, I wouldn’t recommend buying a stand alone camera.

Are you sure it won’t work at those limits? I’d have thought it would have better seals etc than a normal camera.

I’ve just sold my DSLR/lenses. It’s great and it can do more than a phone, but it’s effort! Modern smartphones are so good that they can be a very good replacement.

1 Like

I think Apple recommend using the iPhone at temperatures above 0°C. Below that it might not always function properly but I think it’d survive

Now speaking of latest tech, I’ve been on iPhones for the past 6 years at least. But this new Fold2 from Samsung caught my attention. I just don’t think I can migrate Keychain to Android to give it a go… :thinking:

Yep, and here’s the support resource documenting recommended use temperatures.

So, although you still could probably use it fine, the phone will need to use more resources to keep it running optimally which will drain battery life, else it will just shut off.

If you keep the phone strapped to your body money-belt style, temperature would be fine anyhow. If it isn’t, you have more important things to worry about than your phone!

2 Likes

Just got myself some Google Pixel Buds in Black :grin: Weirdly John Lewis are selling them before the actual Google store :man_shrugging:

1 Like
1 Like

I got them in white from the Google Store about a month ago. Unless you meant only the black ones!

What are your thoughts on these?

In a huge fan of the isolate mini’s but they’re not the most comfortable for longer durations.

Something comfier that can just dim the world around that little bit so things are less overwhelming and stressful would be nice. Those look like they might fit the bill better.

Why would a iPhone be below 0c in the U.K. if it’s turned on?

Put the phone in a bag with them hand warmers (where you click the metal tablet inside them)

Oops yeah I meant the black ones!

Can’t speak to those above but I bought these a year and a bit ago (based off a wirecutter review) and have found them pretty comfy, and very good at dampening without distorting: https://eu.loopearplugs.com/products/loop

1 Like

The Calmer plugs, or whatever they call them (are they plugs?!), are more discrete, so I feel less conspicuous out and about than with a traditional-sized earplug.

It’s hard to see from the website, but they don’t really go into your ear either, which I much prefer.

I’m not sure I could tell you whether they’re more or less effective than other options, except that they definitely do what they’re supposed to!

1 Like

Thanks for sharing that! Wirecutter put a lot of work into testing different types of product to figure out which is best for most people, so I tend to put some weight into their opinions when deciding what to buy. I’ve just had a quick read of the Wirecutter article, and they seem to be a great pair of earplugs. I’ll definitely pick up a pair of those to try!

Thanks for your feedback! I tend to prefer things that don’t go too deep into your ear but still provide good results. If they work as advertised, these are likely the perfect ear plugs for me.

1 Like

Exactly. Always one of the first places I check when buying nearly anything these days :call_me_hand: hope they work out for you!

1 Like

Samsung have an active range , that I’ve seen for sale in the Samsung shops, I’ve not checked the temperature range but they are rated military standard for shock and are waterproof etc.

If those are too expensive I would look at a GoPro