What's the last bit of tech you bought?

Bought it in Tokyo but it’s like this one https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/223988311299?chn=ps

Hope you can find a more reasonable price than that though!

1 Like

Hadn’t been a huge seller so I think if they do release a new HomePod it well be at a lesser price point and won’t be as good quality. They will turn it into the non pro version and keep HomePod as pro type thing

This is the devil on my shoulder that’s been telling me to buy one now!

John Lewis is a good place to look not to tempt you more :grin:

Yes, but what about the rice cooker? :laughing:

(apologies for derailing a serious tech topic with comedic filth, but I couldn’t resist)

15 Likes

I just pre ordered mine too, lucky enough to save 10% on the retail price through work so I figured it was worth it for saving £128.

Coming from an iPhone 11 Pro I’m looking forward to trying Android again after about 4 years.

1 Like

I spent like £40 on a Indiegogo project for a game called Dead Matter.

I’m going to class that as a loose form of Tech I’ve recently purchased :thinking:

1 Like

Sorry to bring the thread back to Rice Cookers but… Damn. This is the gadget that I always end up putting in my basket on Amazon and then bailing.

Like @HoldenCarver I have dreams of making rice any time of day. Breakfast Rice. Brunch Rice. Afternoon Rice. I’ll eat so much more rice if only I had the right tools.

But then I chicken out. This sounds familiar to the Spiraliser. I can have spiralised carrots, spiralised courgettes, spiralised… other things that are broadly firm enough to be spiralised. And now that sits in the Graveyard of Unloved Kitchen Gadgets.

But then I see videos like this - and I think, maybe a $500 rice cooker is what I need to really benefit my rice game, and so I log onto Amazon.co.jp and start browsing the hundreds and hundreds they have - before I look at the import duties and weep.

And so instead I keep buying microwavable pouches of rice and keep letting my dreams be dreams.

2 Likes

A new keyboard with cherry mx brown switches as my blue switches annoyed way too many people in discord calls.

1 Like

I still use my spiraliser every couple of months for courgetti or spiralised carrots

The ice cream maker however…

See also; slow cooker

1 Like

I also have the same dilemma with a bread maker.

The thought of freshly baked bread and a house that smells of it sounds amazing. Then all the variants like simply adding some tomatoes and switching it up week after week means I’ll have the best sandwiches in the world.

I still think I’ll use it a handful of times and then banish it to the cupboard though :pensive:

2 Likes

I mean, at £20 / loaf, you can’t afford not to get one!

3 Likes

Also I need to stop using this thread as shopping inspiration…

2 Likes

I’ve had bread makers and slow cookers than have sat in cupboards but the rice maker is used at least 3 or 4 times every week.

If my wife wasn’t japanese I probably wouldn’t have got one, or if I had, it may have sat in the cupboard for most of time but honestly now I’m used to it I’ve used it (possibly more so because it’s so good) when she’s been away.

My breadmaker and slow cooker didn’t play twinkle twinkle so maybe thats the key.

I recommend looking at YumAsia over Amazon for rice cookers (it’s where I got mine from). You want to be sure you’re getting one that’s for the UK market - a lot of them seem expensive because they’re US imports, which means as well as being expensive they’re not wired for UK electricity mains anyway. UK ones from YumAsia, on the other hand? You can get a thoroughly decent one for under £200.

If you already eat lots of microwave rice, you’re halfway there anyway in having the habit for rice and you’re just wanting to replace microwaved rice with the rice cooker.

The other key thing (from my experience) is how much control do you have over your kitchen? Are you going to be allowed to have a rice cooker corner on your kitchen counter? If you are, having it right there all the time is going to help make sure you keep using it instead of buying another microwave rice pouch.

2 Likes

Am I the only animal that just uses my Instant Pot to make rice?

Sony A6100 camera

Just moved apartment and found one in the back of a cupboard. Not sure I ever used it.

Our slow cooker gets used loads. With both of us being at work all day, coming home to food that’s ready to eat is so nice.