What's the last bit of tech you bought?

Careful with that as if not done properly, it can provide you with 24/7 ventilation by virtue of shattering your windows!

I just tend to close the blinds, and tape a towel over the window opening where the aircon exhaust is going out.

3 Likes

Blackout blinds work really well for blocking out heat. Especially when they’re sized properly as opposed to just generic off the shelf ones.

My home office has a huge south facing window and gets into the high 20s on the hottest days (or 25 if I get the blind automations spot on). That’s unbearable for me, so don’t know how you cope in 35!

A few tricks I’ve picked up over the years that seem to work well:

• Open the window in the evening, leaving it open all night, and close it early morning. This generally keeps the indoor air cooler than just leaving the windows open all the time (unless it’s rather windy of course)

• Angle your fan at a wall, or better yet, a corner, rather than at you. It won’t work for weak fans and an air circulator works best, but it creates a mild breeze in the room which can lower the feels like temperature by a good 3 or 4 degrees.

1 Like

I don’t think you really need one for when you’re out and about.

I just pop mine in a faraday pouch when I’m at home as from all the clips I’ve seen it’s generally where they’re stolen from at night.

2 Likes

You should’ve seen my bedroom last summer when indoors it got to above 43°! Lounge was a “comfortable” 29° with blackout blinds and the inefficient window seal fashioned by a towel.

I actually slept on the floor of the lounge one night.

1 Like

Crikey! :exploding_head:

I’ve been needing a graphics card for a few years now but the prices were insane. Lately they’ve been coming down and I decided to bite on an offer for a new Radeon RX 6950 XT

Ordered on Amazon Prime yesterday and arrived this morning :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Yes, I’ve decided that it’s going to be a faraday box in the hallway, and that’s it. Otherwise there’s a way to temporarily deactivate keyless entry if I need to.

1 Like

That’s a very nice card. This is definitely the best time in a while to be buying.

I need to upgrade my 1080ti, but I might wait one more generation or hope for some further drops

2 Likes

You can get reasonably cheap films for windows, which might be worth looking at if you’re overheating from the windows - like these (Amazon) - they’re fairly easy to apply

1 Like

I had an alert setup on HotUKDeals and there’s quite a few posted on there each week now.

Lots of price matching going on between Amazon, ebuyer etc too which is helping.

1 Like

Bought a starlink last week when the dish was on offer for £99

What’s the result? :nerd_face:

1 Like

Will find out tomorrow, it was delivered today so I will return home tonight and then travel back to the south of Ireland on Wednesday and test it then.

I have just treated myself to a new 3D Printer.

Gonna have to hope Ms Library doesn’t notice it…

3 Likes

Which one did you go for?

Ended up on the Prusa MK4, as an upgrade to my MK3.

Been umming and ahhing over the Prusa XL or an other CoreXY system - but maybe that’s a project for next year.

Have been considering the Bambu X1C - but starting to see people with failing components and other bits, but I have more faith and trust in Prusa products.

They’ve just started rolling out Input Shaping - which helps reduce print speeds by like 40%.

2 Likes

Just print a copy of yourself and stand it at the sink, then get iOS 17 accessibility voice everyone’s talking about to talk back, you’ll be grand.

2 Likes

I hope that you make proper use of it, like this:

15 Likes

I have never truly needing anything in my life until now. :joy:

4 Likes

OK lets go! Who wants one?!

6 Likes