Google Pixel 2

Just thought I’d start a topic considering the new Google product announcements :stuck_out_tongue:
I’d like to hear your thoughts.

• Pixel 2 (XL)

• PixelBook

• PixelBook Pen

• PixelBuds

• Home Mini

• Lens Updates

• AI Updates

• Assistant Updates

Personally, I’m excited for these new products, I wish the laptop could’ve been a bit lower in price, but the Pixel 2 seems like it’s got a heap of new features including an even better camera, squeeze for Assistant, faster and the new Android Oreo.

Oh, they’ve also got Coral as one of their mesh colours for the Monzo Coral Lovers. :smiley:

Phone Cover

What are mesh colours? What’s an android Oreo? (I’m an Apple user thinking of buying a Pixel as I mainly use Google’s services.)

1 Like

I’m also an iPhone user, I’m going to be making the switch haha! (Same Boat)
Android Oreo, is basically just the operating system, and Oreo, is Androids latest.
And mesh colours are basically interchangeable covers you can get for devices. Mesh is probably more my term but not sure what else to call it when the use it on multiple devices haha, for example:

• Fabric device cover for the Pixel 2,
  • Top for the Google Home Mini,
  • Bottom for Google Home,
    I updated the post with an image of the devices so you could see them in action or on https://store.google.com/

Buying the Pixel 2 as soon as it’s available! Would love a Google Home Max and a Pixelbook but I think I’ll need to save up a bit! :joy:

3 Likes

Same! I’m looking at ordering the Pixel 2 now on the Google Store, I’ve had checkout open since I made this post, I want to press CHECKOUT. I’d have to wait till November 14th-16th to get it though :frowning:

+ Their headphones are sold out :frowning:

Interesting. Another iPhone user here since the 3GS looking to make the switch. Not committed yet though…

1 Like

Bought the Pixel 2 XL already :wink:

FYI, Carphone Warehouse is better to buy from than the Google Store :ok_hand::smiley:

You get a free Google Home Mini :tada: for the same price as the phones from the Google Store :slight_smile:

True that! I can’t wait for the Max to launch in the UK :thinking: … But damn the Pixelbook looks amazing for a Chromebook! :smiley: The pen looks spot on too :wink:

I really want the i5 with 16GB RAM :joy: Because forget paying +£700 over the base model for RAM and a 512GB NVMe drive!!
Waiting for Currys / PC World to stock them so I can go try one before buying :crossed_fingers:

Glad to hear that, since I used to work there haha!

3 Likes

I thought the Google Mini was included on all purchases of the Pixel 2?

1 Like

In the USA for sure… But not on the UK Google Store! I cancelled my Google Store order a few hours ago (still waiting for a refund :expressionless:) Waiting for that before placing a 2nd £800 order :sweat_smile:

Nevermind :smile: I was mistaken… Google have updated their Store page with the offer :smiley:

And the use DPD :ok_hand: You cannot beat DPD for their 1hr delivery slots and superb delivery tracking :smiley:

Don’t Monzo offer Chromebooks for employees? :wink: I’m sure they’d love to sort you out a Pixelbook :laughing:

I can’t order yet since I need to get it on a plan upgrade rather than SIM free, but hopefully the plans are available soon, and I can badger my ex colleagues to give me a discount :wink:

2 Likes

1EE031C3-38EF-4182-A34D-FA9CD7AF9F88

I decided to purchase earlier this evening :smile: and yeah, after 15 days, you get sent a code for a free Mini Home. The 15 days is a forfeit period or something I believe.

I’m just concerned how it affects me on Monzo. Can I sign in on iOS then switch to android easily? (CA)

1 Like

Actually Android is easier than iOS right now with regards to current accounts. Reason being, we’ve hit the TestFlight limit on iOS and no such limit exists for private betas on Android :grinning:

1 Like

Pixel 2 XL also bought from CPW due to the shorter lead time.

Still a shame there’s not a more accessible phone with a lower price point in the Google Line-up - I think this would line them up better with their values of making information universally available. The Nexus 5 was a favourite phone amoung my family and friend for exactly that reason. This is also goes for the PixelBook
something around the £400-600 mark. The PixelBook too me still feels prohibitively expensive for the many.

I’m also looking forward to the assistant becoming more useful particularly at home.

1 Like

Was working until 12am this morning. Just woke up, so not had a chance to look into the new products.
Does the new Pixel have wireless charging? Any other new features? :face_with_monocle:

Just ordered my Pixel 2 via Currys (PayPal)

1 Like

No wireless charging, however I’m sure there’ll be a wireless charging case from Third Parties in a few months. However they have fast-charge, Quote: “Up to 7 hours of battery on 15 minutes of charging*”

Google Pixel 2 also has “Active Edge” which allows you to squeeze the device to activate assistant. They claim it’s good enough to know a squeeze from a butt squeeze :smiley: haha!

AMOLED Screen with Always-On Display, Gorilla® Glass 5, 100000:1, super contrast ratio.

New camera with a mark of 98 beating the iPhone 8+ by 4 points. -> https://www.dxomark.com/category/mobile-reviews/

Faster fingerprint scanner.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 processor (Newest available)

Water-resistant not water-proof. :frowning:

Most of their best updates I’d say are their software / AI integration and updates.

Tech-Specs

1 Like

Thanks for the update Shea, I appreciate it! Disappointed about the wireless charging, but nothing major in my book. Everything else looks great, except the waterproofing!
So you are getting the Pixel 2? Wasn’t tempted by the XL?

No Problem, I was tempted, with the small bevel and larger curved corner screen.
But the tech-specs are EXACTLY the same, no upgrades for XL, only screen size, curved corners and bevel, just didn’t warrant me spending the extra money for it. Especially when that cost could go on the Pixel Buds I’m after :stuck_out_tongue:

The XL also doesn’t offer the All-White phone I’m after to match the rest of my devices haha.