What's the last bit of tech you bought?

Bought the latest Kindle Paperwhite, upgrading from my 2014 Kindle Paperhwite.

2 Likes

Mildly related to tech: People with keyless entry and start systems in their cars. How to best protect the car from relay theft, without too much inconvenience?

I’ve seen steering wheel locks and unsightly massive faraday pouches but it feels like this is technology just for the sake of technology?

2 Likes

It’s insured, if someone wants to take it badly enough, they’ll take it.

Steering wheel locks might deter them for a second, but if they want it off, it’ll be gone in seconds.

Unless it’s a very high end fast car, I really wouldn’t worry.

3 Likes

It’s quite the opposite, the cheapest, most boat-like handling ‘SUV’ you can get (not criticism, I have long wanted one for some reason), I’ll let you guess!

I suppose I’ll get a faraday box for at home and if I feel it’s at risk I’ll disable keyless entry while away but you’re right.

Not all steering wheel locks are equal as a Disklok is a very good deterrent and most casual car thieves will give up eventually as they are very difficult to remove. I’ve had one for years and they are rock solid

1 Like

I just bought a pair of Faraday pouches from Amazon and they worked perfectly.

I’ve just had a look and they are now unavailable but there are similar ones.

Isn’t that heavy, and cumbersome to install?

The ones I’ve seen are quite bulky so wouldn’t necessarily fit in a pocket. It feels like keyless entry is just a gimmick made up to sell more cars as thefts increase…

Not at all I find it easy to fit and remove and I must have had this now for over 20 years and still works like it did when it was new

1 Like

At a push, I think putting your key in your microwave (if you have one) should also work as a Faraday cage. Just, don’t forget to take it out before you use it for heating any food :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

If someone really wants a car they’ll haul it onto a flatbed. Nothing you can really do to stop that.

My car has bluetooth keys (so not easily relayable), electronic lockouts to stop someone driving it away and I still couldn’t stop someone with enough determination. That’s what insurance is for.

That said actual car theft remains incredibly rare compared to the number of cars on the road.

1 Like

I promised myself I wouldn’t since I resold my last ones but I’ve done it anyway, just got home with my AirPods Max in space grey. :woozy_face:

9 Likes

Very busy day for your wallet then!

3 Likes

Kindle yesterday and AirPods Max today, can tell it was payday on Friday. :joy:

5 Likes

I’ve been using my Pods today which I bought last year and forget how great the sound is paired with iPhone vs the Pixel.

Padam sounded extra Padam.

2 Likes

I’m going the other way and trying to count the pennies (except, and because of, the car deposit!) :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I’m feeling a little flush because I’ve sorted out my mortgage fix and it’s “only” £120 a month more than my current fix. I was expecting much worse so I’ve been barely spending any money for the last 6 months lol.

4 Likes

That deserves a celebration, indeed! I still have a couple of years on mine so every time there’s an article I’m sitting there crossing every body part that things will improve.

1 Like

It couldn’t have come at a worse time really but it was way less than I expected. I’ve fixed for another 5 years so hopefully by then things may have calmed down a bit!

If you’ve come out of a long fix, got another long fix and only had a relatively small increase I think you’ve done incredibly well!

4 Likes

Just brought and set up a 9000 BTU portable air conditioner

When it’s 19c outside, my apartment reaches 35c :frowning: so I felt like I needed one (I work from home!)

i do not have doors / walls in my apartment, so its all “one big wall” and 9000 btu is not enough, but I feel like so long as it can just keep the area around my desk cool it’ll be ok haha.

So far I’ve gone from 32c down to 29.8c which is great :smiley: I need to aluminum foil my windows some more so the heat stays out (the connector with the aircon is for sliding windows, I do not have one so I have foiled my window up a lot).