What phone do you use?

Ever thought of the oneplus 5

That might tempt me to the dark side!

I have actually, having not had a proper look at one myself in person I don’t know if the screen “jelly effect” is overblown and if the reviews are saying the camera is pretty average because of all the hype OnePlus made about it.

I know from a performance perspective it’s right up there and Oxygen OS apparently has some nice features over stock Android.

Do you have one?

1 Like

I do have one, I don’t have the jelly effect, or it’s just too little that I haven’t noticed it. The camera is great, check out this photo I took https://twitter.com/jkb114/status/887278185313906688
In terms of performance its great, no lag I’ve seen and updates are coming quick and fast

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2, one I might consider buying, new photos of the prototype leaked (or “leaked” or it’s basically fanart). It is a sexy phone, I have to say. :heart_eyes_cat:
gsmarena_001
http://www.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_mi_mix_2_prototype_allegedly_stars_in_leaked_image_showing_an_allscreen_front-news-26674.php

1 Like

That’s very pretty, but I can’t bring myself to buy a Chinese phone - I’d never trust it with sensitive data.

It looks gorgeous- all that screen! Have never tried their phones, but their portable chargers pack a punch and are very sleek :sunglasses: it’s the iPhone for me for the long-haul though, I have too many apple devices to randomly throw another brand into the mix thus late. Might get a Samsung just for the photos :ok_woman:t2:

1 Like

Dave, it’s potentially possible, but you can always install custom rom and get rid of original system.

Majority of phones are produced in Asia, including iPhone (though parts/components are made all over the world). :smiley: Some Chinese roms are more riddled with bloatware, rather than something stealthily siphoning the data, plus some roms don’t use Google services/Play store, which is major inconvenience. But Amazon devices (promotional versions, same stuff but cheaper than no ads version) serve ads on lockscreen, so it’s just as bad. Or US carriers adding more bloatware than you can find on phone from Chinese brand.

On the upper side, Xiaomi’s MIUI system is really decent and heavily oriented towards battery saving, so it’s often better choice than ‘mainstream’ phones - though it’s very subjective opinion. :wink:

What’s quite peculiar, there are ‘copies’ of Chinese budget phones made to be even cheaper. So like Xiaomi Mi Mix released in 2016 and was already very reasonably priced, it got an even cheaper copy - Doogee Mix (with quite decent reviews). They didn’t even think about finding a new name. :joy:

That’s tempting, yeah I think I might try to get it replaced at the very least before I sell it. Definately didn’t expect such bad quality and battery performance from what seemed like a very well reviewed phone. :disappointed:

Anyone interested in the Essential phone? Looks pretty cool and the but initial thoughts seem to be the camera isn’t great but a few software updates on the review units has increase picture quality so it might end up being a good camera, everything else looks really interesting

1 Like

Definitely interested. Andy Rubin is a hero of mine - I actually was a huge fan of the company he founded even before Android, which was Danger, Inc. I had two of their phones - Sidekick 3 and Sidekick Slide, and then because of his involvement with Android I jumped on board with the first Android phone, the G1, as soon as it was released!

For me it’ll come down to the Pixel 2 XL or the Essential Phone.

1 Like

I’m a long time iPhone user but this has my interest piqued, even to the point where I am tempted to order one from Amazon.com since they will ship to the UK. Works out at around £650 (using monzo of course) after shipping, import fees etc which isn’t too bad considering how much the new iPhone / Pixel XL 2 will cost, and you get it way before the UK release.

Loving the accessories clipping on with magnets idea. That could be awesome.

1 Like

The phablet has arrived!
phablet
Small issue with overlap on the totals at the top of the main tab, otherwise good!

4 Likes

Blackberry DTEK60. Was their 3rd Android offering, and I have to say, it’s been great. Really decent specs (at the time), decent price, almost vanilla Android experience, and Blackberry security layered on.

1 Like

Is that the Jelly Pro? Waiting for mine to come, dying to have a play with it. Also to see how well it handles Pokémon Go haha

Pixel XL. Great device with the best Android OS. Have got Oreo installed, lot slicker but appears to be running a little heavy on my battery.

AirPods. I was sceptical at first. They’re brilliant. You’ll never wand to use earphone with a cord ever again.

1 Like

Same here, got them a week or two ago and would definitely recommend them. They just work and the battery life is better than any other wireless headphones I’ve had.

I don’t know about them, I lose my earphones all the time already (I have three pairs in active use which I rotate because I inevitably put them down somewhere in the house/ various bags and can’t find them). Is there a tracking option :joy: