Google Pixel XL 2 leaks!

(Simon B) #1

Courtesy of the awesome AndroidPolice.com - for my money easily the best Android site out there.

This looks absolutely gorgeous.

I already knew I was going to buy this before it leaked. I’ve been with Android since Day 1 with the T-Mobile G1, and have previously owned the Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 6, Nexus 7 (2012), Nexus 7 (2013) and still use a Nexus Player and a Nexus 6P.

I skipped the first gen Pixel because I got my N6P quite late in the day (6 months after lauch) and so couldn’t quite justify the upgrade. Also, although I liked it, having dropped from a 6" screen with the Nexus 6, down to a 5.7" screen with the 6P, I had reservations about dropping back down to a 5.5" with the first gen Pixel XL.

Glad to see the screen is back up to 6" with this upcoming device :grinning:

(Marcus Nailor) #2

Couldn’t agree more! I really hope it lives up to these renders… The 1st Pixel renders worried people with the huge glass panel, looked pretty ugly until it was revealed in full - But this phone looks great out of the gate! (Maybe Google desensitised me with their first glass window? ;))

I started off with the Nexus 4, I still miss the glass back of that :heart_eyes:

What was your favorite device @simonb? :slight_smile:

(Also, you’re missing out on the Pixel XL… It’s leaps and bounds smoother than the 6P ever was for me ;))

(Tristan Thomas) #3

I’m beyond excited about this — I’ve loved the Pixel 1 :heart_eyes: I really need to buy a case next time though because it’s quite smashed up :grimacing:

(Marcus Nailor) #4

I’d recommend RhinoShield bumpers :slight_smile: I don’t want to jinx it… but mine’s been fantastic! It doesn’t ruin the aesthetic of the device but it gives it fantastic drop resistance (I’ve dropped it a few too many times :roll_eyes:) and the case is, so far, the only thing that’s been dinged :smiley:

Plus the phone still feels almost normal to hold :slight_smile:

( surohpotsirhC) #5

If the next iphone is not up to much then this is what I’ll be looking at.

(Bruce) #6

Excellent phones!!! Closest thing to an iPhone alrernative :stuck_out_tongue:

One plus 5 is also pretty sweet though and I’m assuming at a hefty discount compared to the :space_invader: 2

Any speculation on anything interesting with the 2 ? Just more ram better battery usage and a faster processor?

(Ben) #7

I backed them on Kickstarter back in the day and loved mine. Just wasn’t enough protection for my dusty building site workplace.

(Simon B) #8

The Nexus 4 was great! Loved it. It was so much better than everything else out at the time and the price was insane.

I’d say I probably have the fondest memories of using my Nexus 6. I just loved the size of it, and I’ve always liked Moto’s build quality.

I did come close to pulling the trigger on a PXL many times haha. But it just felt frivolous given that I hadn’t had the 6P for that long and although it’s definitely a lot smoother, I didn’t want a smaller screen.

Glad I waited as I’ll almost certainly get a PXL2 straight away.

(Marcus Nailor) #9

Great minds :joy: The Nexus 4 was fab :smiley: I actually bought a Nexus 4 from Amazon a couple months ago because I missed it… but turns out “new” meant opened used and bootloader unlocked :joy: so I quickly posted that back! But it was the first phone I’d ever bought and I fell in love with it :slight_smile:

Nexus 6 was quite good, I think all it was missing at the time was a fingerprint reader, besides that the real estate was mental, performance was great, front facing speakers too for the first time on Nexus :heart_eyes:

I’ve got to admit though, can’t say I loved the 6P… I was truly glad to get rid of it once the Pixel XL came through the door :sweat_smile: Definitely looking forward to the PXL2, fingers are crossed for a pair (or at least 1) front facing speaker(s) :slight_smile:

(Simon B) #10

Fun fact.

The prototype of the Nexus 6 had a fingerprint reader. It was removed at the last minute, and possibly because Apple swooped in and bought the company who were making that particular sensor.

Carphone Warehouse were given a prototype to use in a promotional video, and if you look at this video, 10 seconds in where the rear of the phone is shown - you’ll see the fingerprint sensor!

(Marcus Nailor) #11

Indeed! :slight_smile: I didn’t think many people knew that haha :wink: I guess you’re a real Nexus fan!!

If it had’ve shipped with a fingerprint scanner I might have skipped the Nexus 6P, saying that… I did really want USB C on my phone :slight_smile: Either way, super happy with what Google are doing with their devices, I just wish they made them all as good and as cheap as they made the Nexus 4 back in 2012 :smiley: But it’s highly unlikely they’ll do that :frowning: #optimistic

(Hugh) #12

That’s the first time I’ve seen the sensor in a Nexus 6! I think there were also engineering issues - fingerprint was very new at the time so I guess they just didn’t get it working in time and as you say, Apple bought the company which was the only one making the sensors at the time?

(Simon B) #13

Oh it definitely worked fine - Moto had put a sensor in their Atrix phone before that!

The sensors were made by Authentec and yep - Apple swooped in and bought the company right before mass manufacturing was beginning on the N6.

(Hugh) #14

Fair enough :slight_smile:
There was some suggestion that engineering issues were part of the problem but I guess not having a supplier is more of a problem :wink:

(Spencer Luxford) #15

Just received an email from Google reminding me about the event tomorrow. Added an event my calendar as I’m working till 1030pm tomorrow night! I will have to sneak off at 5pm to watch it! looking forward to seeing the new Pixel 2, been holding off getting a new phone for this! :grinning:

(Marcus Nailor) #16

:ok_hand: :tada:

The real device always looks better than the renders :sweat_smile: I hope that’s the case here! :wink:

I can’t wait to see them show it off, shame that the first thing I do will stop Android Pay working :joy: Fingers crossed for some instant Magisk support :pray:

Source:

(Leonard) #17

This looks so damn beautiful :heart_eyes:

(Hugh) #18

Pity I can’t afford one :frowning:

Well unless I get a job (hint hint :mondo: :wink: )

(Marta) #19

I think leaks suggest that XL won’t have jack, I wonder about non-XL one. :frowning: I need jack, I detest phones without jack. But it is a sexy phone. So torn.

(Marcus Nailor) #20

It does, it’s been rumoured in previous articles that I’ve read too!

I think that removing it for the sake of removing it (cough copying Apple cough) that it’s a pointless elimination of a feature, I don’t personally use IEMs but many people do, nobody wants a silly dongle for their headphones!

I get the it’s a push towards new tech, wireless/Bluetooth… But if there’s no reason to remove it then leave it be :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: I’d rather have and not need than need and not have :wink:

But besides that, I love the look and can’t wait to be “working very hard” at 17:00 tomorrow when the live stream starts :joy: