Google Pixel XL 2 leaks!

Courtesy of the awesome AndroidPolice.com - for my money easily the best Android site out there.

This looks absolutely gorgeous.

I already knew I was going to buy this before it leaked. I’ve been with Android since Day 1 with the T-Mobile G1, and have previously owned the Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 6, Nexus 7 (2012), Nexus 7 (2013) and still use a Nexus Player and a Nexus 6P.

I skipped the first gen Pixel because I got my N6P quite late in the day (6 months after lauch) and so couldn’t quite justify the upgrade. Also, although I liked it, having dropped from a 6" screen with the Nexus 6, down to a 5.7" screen with the 6P, I had reservations about dropping back down to a 5.5" with the first gen Pixel XL.

Glad to see the screen is back up to 6" with this upcoming device :grinning:

11 Likes

Couldn’t agree more! I really hope it lives up to these renders… The 1st Pixel renders worried people with the huge glass panel, looked pretty ugly until it was revealed in full - But this phone looks great out of the gate! (Maybe Google desensitised me with their first glass window? ;))

I started off with the Nexus 4, I still miss the glass back of that :heart_eyes:

What was your favorite device @simonb? :slight_smile:

(Also, you’re missing out on the Pixel XL… It’s leaps and bounds smoother than the 6P ever was for me ;))

I’m beyond excited about this — I’ve loved the Pixel 1 :heart_eyes: I really need to buy a case next time though because it’s quite smashed up :grimacing:

2 Likes

I’d recommend RhinoShield bumpers :slight_smile: I don’t want to jinx it… but mine’s been fantastic! It doesn’t ruin the aesthetic of the device but it gives it fantastic drop resistance (I’ve dropped it a few too many times :roll_eyes:) and the case is, so far, the only thing that’s been dinged :smiley:

Plus the phone still feels almost normal to hold :slight_smile:

If the next iphone is not up to much then this is what I’ll be looking at.

Excellent phones!!! Closest thing to an iPhone alrernative :stuck_out_tongue:

One plus 5 is also pretty sweet though and I’m assuming at a hefty discount compared to the :space_invader: 2

Any speculation on anything interesting with the 2 ? Just more ram better battery usage and a faster processor?

I backed them on Kickstarter back in the day and loved mine. Just wasn’t enough protection for my dusty building site workplace.

1 Like

The Nexus 4 was great! Loved it. It was so much better than everything else out at the time and the price was insane.

I’d say I probably have the fondest memories of using my Nexus 6. I just loved the size of it, and I’ve always liked Moto’s build quality.

I did come close to pulling the trigger on a PXL many times haha. But it just felt frivolous given that I hadn’t had the 6P for that long and although it’s definitely a lot smoother, I didn’t want a smaller screen.

Glad I waited as I’ll almost certainly get a PXL2 straight away.

2 Likes

Great minds :joy: The Nexus 4 was fab :smiley: I actually bought a Nexus 4 from Amazon a couple months ago because I missed it… but turns out “new” meant opened used and bootloader unlocked :joy: so I quickly posted that back! But it was the first phone I’d ever bought and I fell in love with it :slight_smile:

Nexus 6 was quite good, I think all it was missing at the time was a fingerprint reader, besides that the real estate was mental, performance was great, front facing speakers too for the first time on Nexus :heart_eyes:

I’ve got to admit though, can’t say I loved the 6P… I was truly glad to get rid of it once the Pixel XL came through the door :sweat_smile: Definitely looking forward to the PXL2, fingers are crossed for a pair (or at least 1) front facing speaker(s) :slight_smile:

1 Like

Fun fact.

The prototype of the Nexus 6 had a fingerprint reader. It was removed at the last minute, and possibly because Apple swooped in and bought the company who were making that particular sensor.

Carphone Warehouse were given a prototype to use in a promotional video, and if you look at this video, 10 seconds in where the rear of the phone is shown - you’ll see the fingerprint sensor!

2 Likes

Indeed! :slight_smile: I didn’t think many people knew that haha :wink: I guess you’re a real Nexus fan!!

If it had’ve shipped with a fingerprint scanner I might have skipped the Nexus 6P, saying that… I did really want USB C on my phone :slight_smile: Either way, super happy with what Google are doing with their devices, I just wish they made them all as good and as cheap as they made the Nexus 4 back in 2012 :smiley: But it’s highly unlikely they’ll do that :frowning: #optimistic

3 Likes

That’s the first time I’ve seen the sensor in a Nexus 6! I think there were also engineering issues - fingerprint was very new at the time so I guess they just didn’t get it working in time and as you say, Apple bought the company which was the only one making the sensors at the time?

Oh it definitely worked fine - Moto had put a sensor in their Atrix phone before that!

The sensors were made by Authentec and yep - Apple swooped in and bought the company right before mass manufacturing was beginning on the N6.

Fair enough :slight_smile:
There was some suggestion that engineering issues were part of the problem but I guess not having a supplier is more of a problem :wink:

Just received an email from Google reminding me about the event tomorrow. Added an event my calendar as I’m working till 1030pm tomorrow night! I will have to sneak off at 5pm to watch it! looking forward to seeing the new Pixel 2, been holding off getting a new phone for this! :grinning:

1 Like

:ok_hand: :tada:

The real device always looks better than the renders :sweat_smile: I hope that’s the case here! :wink:

I can’t wait to see them show it off, shame that the first thing I do will stop Android Pay working :joy: Fingers crossed for some instant Magisk support :pray:

Source:
http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/10/02/detailed-pixel-2-pictures-leak-show-off-three-colors/

4 Likes

This looks so damn beautiful :heart_eyes:

Pity I can’t afford one :frowning:

Well unless I get a job (hint hint :mondo: :wink: )

1 Like

I think leaks suggest that XL won’t have jack, I wonder about non-XL one. :frowning: I need jack, I detest phones without jack. But it is a sexy phone. So torn.

1 Like

It does, it’s been rumoured in previous articles that I’ve read too!

I think that removing it for the sake of removing it (cough copying Apple cough) that it’s a pointless elimination of a feature, I don’t personally use IEMs but many people do, nobody wants a silly dongle for their headphones!

I get the it’s a push towards new tech, wireless/Bluetooth… But if there’s no reason to remove it then leave it be :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: I’d rather have and not need than need and not have :wink:

But besides that, I love the look and can’t wait to be “working very hard” at 17:00 tomorrow when the live stream starts :joy:

3 Likes