What password manager does everyone use?

I used 1Password, and I use it across Apple and Android devices.

I tried LastPass several years ago when I was choosing between that and 1Password, and preferred the user experience of 1Password. And now I absolutely wouldn’t use LastPass because their security breaches concern me greatly.

1Password isn’t affected by security breaches to the same degree as LastPass because they work differently. LastPass stores your keysafe (may not be the right name but hopefully it’s clear what I mean anyway) on its servers, IIRC, whereas with 1Password you can store your keysafe locally or in a Dropbox. Either way, if 1Password is compromised, your keysafe isn’t.

This is also why LastPass has Chromebook integration but 1Password doesn’t. When I’m using my Chromebook I’ll use my Android device to look up passwords if I need to. It’s a minor annoyance, but not annoying enough to make me switch to LastPass.

Have you tried the 1Password browser extension for Chrome? This should provide integration.

Oops, sorry about that, I was unclear in what I wrote. I should’ve said “Chromebook” in this instance, and I’ve edited my post to correct this.

2 Likes

If he’s on his Chromebook it won’t work. The extension needs the full client installed as well.

2 Likes

I use LastPass. It’s pretty awesome.

1 Like

Fully invested in iCloud Keychain, works great and doesn’t require any plugins or browser extensions (which can be difficult to install on locked down work Macs).

There are some negatives to be considered, it’s poor at in-app integration but better than other password managers I would suggest. There are instances where it cannot create it’s own passwords so need to use a Safari bookmark to do it.

How it works under the scenes is that the browser extension merely pings the client and tells it “draw the UI at this location, and here’s the current website the user is on”. The extension has absolutely no access to your passwords, all the heavy lifting is done by the main 1Password app.

Another 1password user here, although I’m gradually letting iCloud Keychain pick up most web and app logins as it is so well integrated into iOS.

I like the ability to store secure notes, card and bank details etc in 1Password. I’m not sure about their gradual shift to payg vs buy outright though.

1 Like

For personal use, I’ve sort of ended up using iCloud Keychain without ever really thinking about it.

Although I really need to clear it out because it has logins from almost every website I’ve ever signed up to in all the years I’ve been an Apple user - it’s my own personal anti-minimalist hell :cold_sweat:

3 Likes

I have all mine in a Google keep note - but written kind of in a way that only I’ll understand.

Quite unsafe probably :confused:

Been meaning to download a password manager for ages. Are there any that don’t back up to a server but just keep the file local? I don’t like the idea of my passwords for everything ever being on someone’s server.

1 Like

Yes, you can do this with 1Password.

And also with Keepass :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m not sure why, but I never liked 1Password even though I still own it.

I use LastPass when I decided to fully use a password manager (before LogMeIn bought them) so bought 10 years of LastPass Premium for a total of US$120 (so US$12 per year, it is now priced at US$24 per year).

I thought I should be in it for the long run if it will house all my passwords. Its okay really and does the job for what I need it too so I am generally happy with it. The UI needs looking at but I blame LogMeIn.

Just 6 years 11 months (January 28, 2025) to go before I can think about changing…

1 Like

1Password. Does the job nicely, works great across Android, iOS and Windows.

1 Like

Look at Keepass; free and open-source with decent UI and lots of features. :+1:t2:

1Password users might be interested in this link

2 Likes

Started with LastPass but moved to 1Password around the time LogMeIn took over and I haven’t looked back. I use the 1Password families thing these days makes it a lot easier to share passwords for online shopping etc

1 Like

Keepass, with Keepass2Android, like someone above also :slight_smile:

It’s rubbish, but it’s free (£££) and free open source (in the most technical sense that the source code is available to audit/make derivative works, it is not collaboratively developed like most open source projects).

1 Like

Nice try, MI5!!

1 Like

Based purely on this thread I’ve been trying 1Password on iOS and MacOS. After doing an export from LastPass, I can see most of the passwords there so I’ve had to add some of them manually. At first it didn’t auto-fill my information like I’m used to, but seems to be working now. I do like the fact that I can specify the minimum number of special characters for generated password whereas in LP you can’t, which I like to have for higher security.

Sounding super geeky now! :nerd_face: :laughing:

3 Likes