We can't see previous balance?

Exactly. Summary is a great financial health tool. But that is what it is, just a nice tool, it is not your actual financial health. That is best seen in your balance.

If you are not readily able to track the health of that balance - maybe comparing it to a similar period in your week/month/pay month/tax year/whatever is relevant for you - then you’re missing an important piece of regular bank info.

It’s an unusual thing for Monzo to have taken away in search of a cleaner UI.

3 Likes

Fair. On the basis that you propose, let’s spin that question around and ask it from the opposite point of view: how has removing the running balance helped Monzo customers?

I’m genuinely intrigued as to how people think removing a long-standing aspect of banking has improved their experience or money management.

I think the argument people would make is to tidy up the app, which is actually pretty valid. But if you don’t want the UI to be cluttered then they could just make toggling it on possible? Either that or have some kind of gesture (e.g. swipping in from the side) reveal what your balance was at that time.

3 Likes

Which is exactly how RBS has done it for years and years and exactly what I suggested, on this forum previously. :+1:

2 Likes

I really like the idea of this feature, a toggle would be super handy. Meaning the app would still stay uncluttered for a majority of the time but users still have the option to show when needed :ok_hand:

4 Likes

I’ve never ever used it. It’s not how I manage my money, I have always had one account for bills (which I check every week to make sure the correct sum has come out), and one account for ‘cash’ (groceries, coffees, frivolous purchases).

So I’m happy it’s not there because it would be information I personally don’t want/need.

A toggle would be ideal, as it would for many decisions like this of course.

1 Like

Mine was a totally genuine question which you’ve sidestepped. I totally appreciate that you don’t want or need this feature, but I have seen you on more than one occasion talk this particular subject down based upon your own personal preference.

Fact is, many people have requested a running balance. Each time it is requested, pro-Monzo contributors talk it down for some reason?

As I said earlier, the common tactic is "why do you need it?" or “what do you use it for?”, totally disregarding the fact that this is a longstanding convention of current accounts and somehow challenging people to justify why they desire something that is quite normal.

So mine is a genuine question. What is it about removing the running balance that makes things easier / better for Monzo users?

5 Likes

Monzo did get quite a few complaints about cluttered feeds , some like it, some dont, a lot of complaints from the coin jar transactions in feed items, admittedly not the same as running balance

Each customer can only answer for themselves so the “how is it better for Monzo customers” is unanswerable by a single Monzo customer. As such I think @gmclean has done the best possible by answering personally.

1 Like

As have other contributors who favour the running balance.

The difference is that each time this suggestion is raised, the same characters pop in to challenge them and talk it down rather than respecting their personal views.

It’s a strange place, this. As soon as there is alternative idea or view, that is different to how Monzo does things, it’s as though there some behind the scenes corralling of extreme pro-Monzo voices who come on to swamp that topic.

Back in the day, this was a place where contributors could pose different points of view and respectfully discuss them. Nowadays it just feels as though the big voices come on to suppress it and sometimes close the topic. But that’s just the way it feels.

So, the long and the short, I respect your preference for no running balance; I just haven’t heard why you think this is better. And for those that do think it’s a good idea, please respect their views.

The clutter argument I understand. As mentioned earlier with RBS, they have a good approach to accommodating the conflicting demands of UI and required content on the small screen. :+1:

Sorry, this post was longer than I intended. :flushed:

2 Likes

I haven’t stated any of my views on this but thanks for respecting them anyway.

I was just proposing that your question was going to be unanswerable by anyone because they couldn’t speak on behalf of everyone else.

1 Like

Ok. I think you’re obfuscating the topic now. One moment personal views are being mentioned and now they’re inapplicable. :thinking:

My question was merely the reverse of what had been asked of the OP. :+1:

Ok. It’s too late for your word games. Time to turn in so we can do it all again tomorrow!

Goodnight.

It all adds to the discussion one way or another which is why we’re all here.

I find it odd that whenever someone can’t answer a question or gets fed up of the discussion they use this templated response. Fanboys, enthusiasts, pro-monzo, help I’m being attacked! - I’ve heard it all and it makes no sense because nothing of the sort is happening. It’s generally just two people that have strong differing opinions. How dull would the world be if we all agreed on the same things?

If you’re really concerned the best thing you could do is not respond to those comments or use the tools available like flagging, or blocking to name a few.

1 Like

Back on topic. I’m sure I’ve seen a post from someone at Monzo that states they don’t want to go down the route of lots of toggles. They avoid them where they can.

If I get some time later I’ll try and find it :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I remember that too. Can’t remember what the specific topic was about though. You didn’t imagine it :+1:

1 Like

I’ve concluded that this sort of defence is generally used by those who can’t cope with differing opinions and so seek to belittle the comments of others who don’t agree with them.

I’ve always imagined that they see themselves as some sort of “lone voice of reason in a sea of slavish obedience” and then can’t understand why the rest of the community isn’t instantly enlightened :joy:.

Over the years it’s been interesting to watch some users fall into the trap multiple times, generally to the detriment of their own arguments. It’s a shame because the debate that might have been valuable is immediately stifled by the closed posture on one side.

1 Like

Mike, I was trying to have a reasonable, on-topic discussion with another contributor.

Since then, you and Ordog have done your best to derail this and then criticise my posts (me?) for being the one taking it off topic.

And my posts (that do not contravene forum rules) continue to be flagged and removed.

I think your last post is ad hominem, as you seem to be criticising me rather than discussing the topic and this is against the forum rules.

3 Likes

Let’s get back on track with core topic

Ways you might show balance:

• Long press to reveal
  • Slide right iOS style to reveal
  • Toggle in options for those who don’t use daily total
    … There’s loads of UI friendly ways…?

With respects to opinions… I can’t understand why people need the days total… it only leads to the question ‘oh what have I spent’ which is literally right there on the UI. Apparently some need this though.

Who cares. I’m sure there’s someone out there the opposite of me that loves the recent change.

It’s why I started this thread. Asking Monzo about my (and apparently many peoples) fairly standard banking use case and can we get it returned to the app since it was dropped?

I only wrote one comment :confused: But to be fair you were the one that took if off topic by attacking peoples personas, so if you deal it out you must expect to get something back and this is exactly why I said you shouldn’t engage with these comments if they bother you this much.

Anyway… It seemed like you were upset so it was just some advice on how to handle posts that make you feel like this in the future - it was nothing personal.

I hope you get to the bottom of your wrongful flags and removals :slight_smile: