Virtual Cards use cases

No bank details for them sadly.

They’re just cards, so you’ll still need to share your standard details.

This is the ideal use case for your monzo.me link I think. Go to “Payments > Request” and you can send a generic link or one with the value pre-populated and people can pay you on their card. Sadly you can’t automatically direct these values to a pot though.

1 Like

Those were some really good suggestions, thank you!

I’m trying to control what I’m using each card for, so I made this:

It would be really useful if there was a place where you could see what services you registered your card, while that doesn’t happen I’m going to try to keep them in a spreadsheet :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Ah tried this but it’s limited to £100 per link and I need £280 from everyone. Not sure I want to over-engineer things by creating 3 separate monzo.me links when 1 bank transfer will do.

I wonder why it’s limited to £100 :thinking:

1 Like

Would be nice if you could use the reference for directing it to a pot, then have the pot tag each deposit with the senders name. Would have been nice for our now cancelled holiday pot.

2 Likes

Because card payments cost quite a lot relative to bank transfers (i believe) so the amount is capped to cap the cost.

1 Like

I believe Monzo still use Stripe to process these, so that’s 1.4% + 20p per transaction (likely reduced to 1% for volume). That’s considerably higher than the 0.2% interchange fees they’re used to leveraging elsewhere.

2 Likes

Whatever you do, put a little thought into what you’re using your virtual card for. I registered a domain with Namecheap and have since had my account locked and now they’re asking me for this…

Unfortunately, your Namecheap account was flagged by our fraud screening system as requiring verification and was locked.

Please follow the instructions below to get your account verified:

• take a color photo of the credit card used for the payment at

Please make sure all of the edges of the credit card are visible, and that we can clearly see the card holder’s name, expiration, and last four digits of the card number. If the submission does not meet these requirements we will request that you submit this information again.

Somehow, taking a photo of the virtual card that I used is going to be slightly problematic!

3 Likes

Have you mentioned to them that you used a virtual card issued by a regulated bank? I’m curious how they handle this since virtual cards are more common in the US with the likes of Privacy.com.

1 Like

Is that true, though? Even if the card is cancelled, you still owe the money and the merchant could present the payment that you authorised when the card was valid. So they’d still get their money.

I had this issue with CDKeys when buying a 12 month game pass ultimate card. My purchase was locked while under review and they wanted a photo of me holding my bank card (blocking the last 12 numbers) I used to pay with and a second photo of me holding my passport or drivers license. They wanted me to send both unencrypted over email. :man_facepalming:

I just cancelled, asked for a refund and went elsewhere to buy my subscription.

1 Like

I would like to ask please, If you pay on a virtual card, and then get refunded and you’ve destroyed the card - does the money go back to your account?

Thanks

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.