Virtual Cards use cases

Yes. You get an icon for each card

3 Likes

I was thinking about this more last night and would be great to share a virtual card.

If they aren’t a part of Monzo or you don’t have a joint account.

Apple showcased how you could share a key for a car using iPhone and give them certain privileges and it can be timed access

Same could be used for Virtual Cards.

• Parents who have kids can share a V Card
  • If you look after someone they can share a V Card and you can do their shopping

Those are just two cases I can think of.

Blargh, pretty much if you could spend out of a pot using a virtual card I’d go for it

Right now I have all the functionality I want but it’s across 4 financial apps

Monese - virtual card you can lock and can link to Google pay (its free but you only get one)

Hyperjar - you can link the card to a jar and spend directly out of it

TSB - 1.5% interest

Amex - Credit purchases

The Monzo plus offering is coming close to consolidation, it just needs Amex integration (I’d leave TSB dormant) and a bit more functionality with the virtual cards and I’ll bite. I am sick of working across multiple accounts. Now the question is do I get it for next month and wait for these things, or wait for them and then get it

2 Likes

Book a hotel room and use a VC then delete it (or assign to an empty pot once the feature is available).
As long as it wasn’t an advance purchase, If you don’t turn up or forget to cancel the booking you won’t have to worry about being charged a cancellation fee :shushing_face:

1 Like

security because you’re using your card online more than you would normally as you’re not face to face shopping at the store itself

Giving extra security to people who are the least likely to ever fall victim of fraud.

I think that if you could effectively switch them on and off (which may come, I believe) then I can see the point. To use and then delete never to be able to use again seems like even the most infrequent user could eventually run out of cards.

2 Likes

For sure, the ability to freeze and unfreeze when necessary would be fantastic and can only enhance the security aspect of the virtual cards.

As much as I would like that, I can only imagine that people would use the card (or accidentally set up a recurring payment) and forget to unfreeze the card, making payments bounce. Could this then affect credit scores?

Yes, it shows an icon on the main page of the VC colour you picked (there’s a screenshot somewhere in this thread) and then I presume more in the transaction details.

True, but you’d hope they’d use a different card for that scenario. One for single purchases with freeze and another for the monthly repeats.

2 Likes

Certainly.

So yes, here’s my vote for freeze/unfreeze on Virtual Cards!

2 Likes

Just set up a card to use to pay for parking… dunno why I didnt think of this earlier…

Will use these for in-game purchases for the kids.
Having been stung previously using my card and then them having a field day. :angry:

1 Like

why? the money source is still your current account?

1 Like

Use it once then cancel it.

Only issue with the current implementation is that you can only have 100 cards in total so you would eventually run out.

100 per year

Ah ok, didn’t realise that. Thanks

1 Like

The ability to link a virtual card to a pot, and functionality to use them on Apple Pay would be great for me :+1:t3:

3 Likes

Intrigued by virtual cards. Can people send money directly to a virtual card?

I.e. are these effectively virtual bank accounts (with separate sort code / account numbers)? I suspect not :thinking:.

I’m organising a stag do, and rather than sending 20 people my normal bank details, that would be a great use.