✅ Virtual / Temporary Card Numbers

I know that this has been suggested a few times in the past, but I can’t see any posts from this year. Therefore, I thought it might be an idea to make a new post just to show that there is still support for this idea.

Virtual / Temporary Card Numbers are a facility offered by certain banks which, as the name suggests, allow the generation of a new virtual card which is tied to your account.

These can then be used to make purchases on sites and later be destroyed following the purchase - a particularly useful tool to have if you make a habit of chasing deals with some lesser-known online retailers.

Offering this through the Monzo service would make it even more competitive with other Challenger Banks who already offer this. One such bank is Revolut, with whom I would not have closed my account had I realised that Monzo doesn’t offer this facility, as I used it regularly.

On other threads, people have stated that they would be willing to pay for this service. I share that sentiment, but only if it was billed as a percentage of the amount transacted, for example. I can’t say I’d be willing to pay a subscription or even a flat fee per card generated.

Let me know your thoughts and if you think we might be seeing this come to Monzo in 2020!

Rumoured to be part of the new Plus account, when it launches

1 Like

He said he doesn’t want to pay monthly for it, but I hope the extra’s will be worth the price too

I remember back in 2001 using single-use virtual card numbers from Cahoot. It was great as a way to make safer online purchases as they were single use and could have a limit applied. I’d love to see this added to the core of Monzo’s offering. Not only adding extra security and protection but possibly also facilitating this needing to shop for shielded individuals.

I guess this could also be argued as Tech designed to help with the current economic and health crisis, so Monzo could probably apply for a government grant to cover some of the development cost.

@Feathers @Peter_G @Jackcrwhitney

Might be worth merging this in with existing thread on Virtual Cards to keep the discussion/votes consolidated