please no one ask if this is really happening

4 Likes

Is it wrong that i quite like that? :see_no_evil:

2 Likes

I think that’s quite quirky.

1 Like

Ha!, Gross

3 Likes

Vertical cards? Why? Everyone wanted Apple Pay on Monzo, now we have it, who’s gets their card out, not many I guess. So to spend money redesigning Monzo cards does seem a bit of a waste of money. Money is better well spent on more important things within the app, for example.

1 Like

This post from a while ago is very appropriate for this change. It’s just another think that’s big now but will probably become “meh” soon

So glad I found this thread. Awesome to see the discussion and everyone embracing this new (literal) direction. At Up, we were a little curious as to how a vertical card would go down, and it’s been received really well. Hannah, our branding designer, first toyed with the idea as she was playing in illustrator over a year ago, back when we were called Alt:

We became really attached to this idea the more we explored it, mostly from a usability standpoint. Since contactless usage has increased (especially here in Australia), it’s the more natural way to hold your card.
I remember back then, these were the only examples of a portrait oriented card we could find:

We questioned a lot of the assumed constraints for bank card design. The biggest of which was having an embossed PAN number on the front of the card (and a few more things we challenged, read more here). What you see now is the result of several iterations. Here’s a good tweet that captures the evolutions:
https://twitter.com/levibuzolic/status/1030363524483112960

A closer look at the welcome pack as a whole can be found here for those that are interested:
https://dribbble.com/shots/4927973-Up-Welcome-Pack

11 Likes

Great insight into the process @Wernah.
It looks like it’s paid off with a really slick design :credit_card:

I Wish Up all the best for the future!

1 Like

Looks very slick! I’m excited to receive mine next week and helping you guys test it out :partying_face:

edit; @wernah - any views of what the Up card looks like in Apple/Google pay?

1 Like

Is that hot coral I see before me?! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Don’t be silly it’s bright pink :wink:

2 Likes

Not everywhere accepts contactless so people are still bound to their cards.

I’m not fussed about a vertical card. What I would like for Monzo is a metal card like the newly announced Revolut Metal.

1 Like

Is that really any more than an expensive gimmick?

2 Likes

If Monzo did it I’d snatch it right up and I’m sure a few others would to.

Thanks Harry :slight_smile:

Here’s a sneak peek at our thinking with a landscape pay variation:

3 Likes

What’s banking like in Australia? Is it the same punitive charges and user unfriendly apps that the U.K has suffered through?

haha we’re calling it salmon :sushi:

3 Likes

card-01
This is how a vertical card from new Slovak 365.bank looks like.

15 Likes

Now that I like.

2 Likes

Still a very minor gripe, but for anyone who has a vertical wallet, I’d hazard a guess that they put the chip side in first.

That makes most of the vertical cards “upside down” in the wallet - Not a biggie, just a little annoying.

3 Likes