Vertical Card Discussion (All Banks) šŸ’³

Also, if they decided to keep an account number on the card, they should also have a sort code there.

Smaller chip would make it super elegant as well!

Totally agree with that one. Especially that they donā€™t have the easiest sort code to remember such as :monzo: 04-00-04
:+1: for :monzo:

3 Likes

No I do not. It is unnecessary. Either remove it or have it on the back.

1 Like

Just been reading the feedback on the Starling forum:

Seems some love it some dislike it, but I feel the below points out some little niggles which Iā€™d hope Monzo would consider before launching one if they did :slight_smile:

https://community.starlingbank.com/t/introducing-our-new-card/6934/270

1 Like

I like what this Starling user has done with a mock-up of an alternative to the vertical card they released. It includes braille for the long card number, and the 3-digit security code on the front - very handy.
starling%20horizontal%20card%20mockup

9 Likes

Very nice. I like what Starling have done. I think Monzo are missing a trick on cards. The whole hot coral thing work well, for a time. But time has moved on.

Joint account cards was an ideal opportunity to lead the way, push new boundaries and think outside the box. And Monzo played it safe and decided :-1:.

1 Like

I suspect Monzo will switch to vertical, non-embossed cards at some point (summer 2019 would be my bet).

I hope they will learn from Starlingā€™s shortcomings and release really great card :star_struck:

4 Likes

Yeah I thought Monzo were leading the way on design and taking risks. Appears they are losing ground. Pity.

I get branding, design and continuity. Apple are the best in the business - they now have iPhones in over 5 colours. Enough said.

Hereā€™s a preview of the new card design :fire: :heart_eyes:

please no one ask if this is really happening

4 Likes

Is it wrong that i quite like that? :see_no_evil:

2 Likes

I think thatā€™s quite quirky.

1 Like

Ha!, Gross

3 Likes

Vertical cards? Why? Everyone wanted Apple Pay on Monzo, now we have it, whoā€™s gets their card out, not many I guess. So to spend money redesigning Monzo cards does seem a bit of a waste of money. Money is better well spent on more important things within the app, for example.

1 Like

This post from a while ago is very appropriate for this change. Itā€™s just another think thatā€™s big now but will probably become ā€œmehā€ soon

So glad I found this thread. Awesome to see the discussion and everyone embracing this new (literal) direction. At Up, we were a little curious as to how a vertical card would go down, and itā€™s been received really well. Hannah, our branding designer, first toyed with the idea as she was playing in illustrator over a year ago, back when we were called Alt:

We became really attached to this idea the more we explored it, mostly from a usability standpoint. Since contactless usage has increased (especially here in Australia), itā€™s the more natural way to hold your card.
I remember back then, these were the only examples of a portrait oriented card we could find:

We questioned a lot of the assumed constraints for bank card design. The biggest of which was having an embossed PAN number on the front of the card (and a few more things we challenged, read more here). What you see now is the result of several iterations. Hereā€™s a good tweet that captures the evolutions:
https://twitter.com/levibuzolic/status/1030363524483112960

A closer look at the welcome pack as a whole can be found here for those that are interested:
https://dribbble.com/shots/4927973-Up-Welcome-Pack

11 Likes

Great insight into the process @Wernah.
It looks like itā€™s paid off with a really slick design :credit_card:

I Wish Up all the best for the future!

1 Like

Looks very slick! Iā€™m excited to receive mine next week and helping you guys test it out :partying_face:

edit; @wernah - any views of what the Up card looks like in Apple/Google pay?

1 Like

Is that hot coral I see before me?! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Donā€™t be silly itā€™s bright pink :wink:

2 Likes

Not everywhere accepts contactless so people are still bound to their cards.

Iā€™m not fussed about a vertical card. What I would like for Monzo is a metal card like the newly announced Revolut Metal.

1 Like