Using Monzo in Costco

(Simon J Harrison) #1

Hello - does anyone know if Monzo works in Costco? They only accept debit cards - technically though I believe Monzo is a MasterCard debit card?

(Naji Esiri) #2

Hey Simon,

Unfortunately not, from what I understand Costco automatically block pre paid cards and there have been a few bits of feedback on here from the community about the card being declined there.

(Rika Raybould) #3

To add to this, Costco specifically want to see a payment card with a name that matches the Costco membership card. As far as I’m aware, Costco appear to act more on a whitelist of banks and issuers, rather than a blacklist. :disappointed:

(Danny) #4

I’ve not seen this, I pay or my other half pays and we use each others membership cards.

Is there everywhere?

(Rika Raybould) #5

To be honest, it’s only really if you get pulled up on it. They’re more lenient with family members or a business user but in general, that’s not a policy I would rely on or test.

(Craig) #6

Tried using the Monzo at Costco petrol station today and it was rejected abit gutted as was wanting to use monzo to keep an eye on my petrol expenses

(Andy) #7

They dont accept prepaid cards at any pay at pump petrol stations, and the same also applies to Starling as well, as their BIN Range is still classified by some places as pre paid, including CostCo…

(Alex Sherwood) #8

To add to Andy’s comments, this is a known issue that’ll be fixed when Monzo’s current accounts launch & they switch to debit cards :slight_smile:

(Josh Bray) #9

No prepaid cards are accepted at any pay@pump stations. It’s something that’ll be fixed when the current accounts go live

(Craig) #10

Yeah i assumed its due to the pre-auth bouncing back

Tried my Monzo card at CostCo and warned them it probably wouldn’t work… it didn’t as expected. The till didn’t even attempt to bring up a pin code request so perhaps there is a whitelist or usable cards :thinking:

(Richard Edwards) #12

Costco now accept Monzo.

Used it today with no issues.

Was this Prepaid or CA?

(Richard Edwards) #14

Was the prepaid card.

I did email them and give the first few numbers and they did say they had to update something.

(Richard Edwards) #15

Costco now accept Monzo. Used it today.
:mondo: :tada:

(Steve Hamblet) #16

Costco petrol pumps now also accept Monzo current account MasterCards. Tested it today.