"Users Who Criticise Monzo Get Shouted Down Here"

It’s a race to the bottom then :wink:

1 Like

I do find l want to interact with the community less, and my sigh moments when reading much of the commentary has caused me to turn away from Monzo a little. I reflect on the community was an interesting/exciting place now it’s a bit more echo chamber is my perception.

I am fascinated to see how the community plays out. When Monzo attracts the tens of millions of customers, will they need to behave a little more corporate? Willl the community lose its relevance? I do always hope that Monzo keeps a flavour of the community but l wonder if it was able to. I suspect it will struggle particularly when different perceptions/cultures around banking are engaged. Banking is a utility but it is a remarkably personal experience l look forward to seeing how expansion across borders plays out

2 Likes

I disagree, but I can see it morphing, possibly moving more over to Slack or similar to keep the focus on nerds and developers.

2 Likes

Keep the focus on nerds and developers? Surely, Monzo should consider the opinions of all its customers, not just “nerds and developers”?!?!

10 Likes

A few threads over a holiday period do not mean Monzo community is getting negative or morphing into something. Far from it. It means people are getting more engaged. Showing their love for the product and that they want to see things move along. I still see newbies coming onto the forums posting “we should do this” or “do it like that”, threads about how Monzo can be improved.

We shouldn’t all have to pretend Monzo is getting it right 100% of the time because they don’t. @tristan explained that Monzo like the constructive criticism, as well as the praise, and that @tom used the Barclays thread in the New Year team meeting. I’ve given Monzo a hard time in the overdraft fees thread because I don’t agree with the flat fee for small overdrafts, for which I got an extensive personal response from Tom. Which bank would do that? The guy in charge personally explain their position, how they would help people in debt, and that they are listening? Which other banks would even listen at all? It doesn’t mean I’m negative and don’t support the vision for Monzo. Far from it.

Monzo now has almost 200,000 current account customers and the demands of these customers, and expectations, are a lot larger than that of a prepaid card customer whose banking was automated by their legacy account. I’m sure, as the year progresses, 2018 will be a very positive year for everyone.

13 Likes

It is not just over the holiday period, the negativity has been going on for months now. Snappy terse unhelpful responses to new users who have not yet picked up the search function, and even if they have they may not know weather it is expected to create new posts or add to existing threads. Coming down heavily on opposing viewpoints rather than respecting them. While the community started well as an open forum for everyone to express views, it now seems a hard core of regular want to take over and dictate the ‘thought’ in any thread.

7 Likes

You don’t need to be a seasoned user to know that a search function exists. It’s common to all forums. I’d be amazed if there was a forum without one.
It’s just that too many people lack the common sense to actually search before piping up. I’ve no issues with people starting topics if they’re unable to find the answer they want.

4 Likes

I don’t see this at all, and the recent thread about switching away from Monzo was a good example of that. No one got shouted down, and there was good discussion. Though in that case, there was criticism that people who didn’t agree with the thread weren’t contributing, so it seems you can’t win. :roll_eyes:

You’ve posted vague comments about negativity and coming down on opposing views before, and it’s pretty unhelpful without specific examples. Everyone will have their own ‘feelings’ about how things are going, but if there’s behaviour that is negative or counter-productive, it would be useful for you to reference it specifically so that people can learn what actions are causing distress for others.

8 Likes

I agree with this, and that’s why I spoke directly to the very small minority of people that were doing it. You’ll notice that’s stopped.

This, like @jzw95, I don’t agree with. I’m happy to hear your point of view, but without examples when making sweeping statements like this, it’s just vacuous balderdash and baseless accusation.

5 Likes

I think the issue regarding new feature requests being received negatively is because search is really quite bad - even as a regular I hate using it. I think despite our best efforts this is only going to get worse (understandably - I myself hate seeing 10x new threads about the same thing over and over again). What we need is an actual list of feature requests users can easily check to see if their idea was already requested. A Trello board would be brilliant I think. :+1:

5 Likes

I concur. Recently I have noticed at least one contributor imposing their view on, seemingly, almost everything.

This community is no longer the friendly, respectful group of interested people that I joined a number of months ago. It’s very much feels you’re wrong if you don’t agree with one of the big voices.

5 Likes

What’s stopping you from pointing out that the ‘big voices’ are wrong?

2 Likes

Nothing, Alex. Nothing at all. But I don’t have the appetite to try and reason with the big ego(s) on here and that’s why I’ve taken a back seat recently.

I’m keen to see how Monzo develops but I’m less inclined to contribute to this community as some people lose respect for the views of others.

5 Likes

I’m sorry to hear that you feel that way.

1 Like

Not everyone, Alex. Just one or two people. You’ve always been a very level-headed voice of reason and you’ve made a significant positive contribution to this community in your time here.

2 Likes

The other really positive voice in the community has been @GalaxyMergirl

5 Likes

hey Toms Uncle here :slight_smile:

I think there are loads of positive people on here , but as with everything people have different views on different subjects

10 Likes

HI TOM’S UNCLE! NICE TO SEE YOU, I HOPE YOU ARE WELL.

I assume now that Anne has made the case clear, I need to suck up to you or something? :joy:

4 Likes

Yes …:slight_smile:

1 Like

Awwww shucks :frowning: