Posting the same complaint repeatedly in different threads

Thoughts on the impact this is having on users experience in this community.

The scenario that’s been discussed here is where there are issues / shortcomings with Monzo that the team have responded to & regular users in this community (not new users), still bringing their complaints up in different topics, with no obvious objective other than to moan.

11 Likes

Are we going to get people saying “Apple Pay” every month like a bad joke on a broken record for these updates?

Because that’d be really effing tedious.

15 Likes

Yes because it’s an important feature for a Fintech bank so as tedious as you find it all iOS users are wanting to hear news on it

4 Likes

The point is there is no news & there won’t be news until it’s announced so repeatedly requesting updates / the feature in the meantime won’t change anything & it makes this community a less enjoyable place to be for me.

16 Likes

The below posts were originally posted here -

That’s a perfectly reasonable point of view. You could mute the thread if you don’t like it. You’d then only see Apple Pay comments when a new user starts a new thread.

2 Likes

a) I can’t mute threads because I’m a Leader & b) I & the rest of the community shouldn’t have to mute every topic that Apple Pay’s mentioned in, it keeps being bought up in different threads c) as I keep mentioning, bringing it up is pointless so why keep doing it?

Edit - new users get a pass of course, we can’t expect them to be aware of the situation.

9 Likes

I’m an iOS user. I want to hear news on Apple Pay. But no one has to ask for an update because everyone at Monzo is aware that it’s the number one requested feature. Monzo cannot speak about Apple Pay until they announce it because of the Non Disclosure Agreement, so asking for updates is like shouting into thin air. Asking and asking and asking over and over will not make it happen any quicker.

17 Likes

That’s a shame. But you must know that you’ll have to read a lot of stuff that either doesn’t interest you, or which you find annoying, in that case.

It does keep coming up (especially in this thread, obviously). Should I have to mute every thread where Android (or FitBit) is mentioned? That’s the thing about forums; it’s like walking into a busy pub and hearing every conversation. Some are interesting, some are outrageous, some are boring. Anyone who reads a forum, or contributes, to it has to put up with threads in which they have no interest.

Every now and again, the question of what is stopping people from using Monzo more is asked. For some people, one of the main reasons is lack of Apple Pay. For some of those people, it is incredibly frustrating that a relatively new, modern, app based bank (which supports Google Pay) hasn’t yet managed to get Apple Pay to work. Probably the same level of frustration that others feel at the continual mentioning of Apple Pay.

Please be aware that none of the above is meant to be read as a pop at you, or at Monzo. The provision or not of Apple Pay will make virtually no difference to the way I use Monzo. But I do understand the frustrations of those who enjoy using Monzo, who think it is doing important and useful things to help people manage their money in a better way, but want to be able to use their phone to make transactions.

5 Likes

So what do you think posting about it repeatedly achieves?

Obviously if it doesn’t achieve anything then it’s a waste of time & unecessary..

3 Likes

I think people worry a bit that updates recently have been quite android-centric recently… (which is not bad, I wish monzo full parity in the apps, however iOS users must fear stagnation)

It achieves exactly the same thing as repeatedly posting about people posting about it achieves.

It vents frustration.

5 Likes

That’s not a good enough reason in my opinion, as it spoils the experience for the rest of the users here.

Once Apple Pay goes away there will be something else that everyone wants e.g. overdrafts. Do we really want to be a place where users just continually moan about what they perceive about Monzo’s shortcomings, even when the situation has been explained & it won’t make a difference?

To be clear, feedback / ideas / suggestions / requests are good of course but posting them over & over again isn’t IMO.

3 Likes

This has been raised here & Simon’s done really good job of explaining the situation. If you have any more comments, after you’ve read the thread, please post them there -

1 Like

That’s fine. I don’t share your opinion, and we are both entitled to our own view, but I wasn’t suggesting it as a reason. I was replying to your inquiry as to what it achieved. My previous post gave the reasons for why it kept coming up.

I don’t think that’s a fair summary of what the community is like, or is likely to become. We can be better than that with or without Apple Pay discussions.

I’ll bear your opinion in mind.

4 Likes

So you don’t think that the community would be better off without them?

I think that the community thrives because everyone is allowed to express their thoughts, views and frustrations freely within the community guidelines. It’s not for us to decide what posts should or shouldn’t be allowed. I do think we might have wandered a bit off topic, though. Do want to start a new one?

8 Likes

I agree, however if users are consistently selfishly spoiling the experience for others, do you not think that it would be better if we raised that & pointed out the impact that it’s having? This is a very specific type of behaviour that we’re talking about, not user’s ability to express their thoughts, views and frustrations in general.

I don’t think that we should need guidelines in order to agree that this isn’t good, we should be capable of discussing issues & solutions as a community ourselves.

1 Like

It annoys me, I must admit. Monzo know it’s a huge thing and pretty much all iOS users want it. So I’m sure they don’t need to be reminded.

Though I am unsure how to tackle it.

2 Likes

If we agree that this is a problem then we could simply point users to this discussion when it happens..