Two credit cards, one payee, huge error!

It’s always been my experience with using direct debit to pay credit card bills that you get three options

1. Pay minimum
  2. Pay in full
  3. Pay fixed amount (specified by customer)

But I appreciate that’s not what this thread is about.

10 Likes

But did you do these manually? As the issue I have is with the standing order defaulting back to the the first card. Monzo seem to be aware but not willing to help rectify the problem.

I have got a refund on the charges from the Co-op but this seems like a bug. I am reporting it so it can be fixed and so I can get my credit score corrected.

1 Like

Thanks for your support - I have raised a complaint and, similarly to this thread, have been passed from pillar to post with a lot of confusion and misunderstanding. I am now going to go to the Ombudsman (UK) to report the mishandling of my complaint.

It is the first issue I have had really and they have handled it in such a lazy way that I am reconsidering banking with them. When you need help it is a good test of a bank and its values.

The virgin money mention confuses me as I don’t use virgin and not sure why they mentioned it - they ignored me when I asked what they meant. The two credit cards are both with the Cooperative bank.

8 Likes

Sounds like to me that it’s monzo’s fault.

Assuming the ombudsman agrees, does anyone know if they can they force the co-op to remove the mark?

If not what would be adequate recourse from monzo? Because I honestly don’t know what could make up for a non payment mark on my record.

4 Likes

It does sound like Monzo’s fault, to me, now you’ve explained that you can see both references in the standing order list, but Monzo has somehow changed one of the references on making the payment. @Amy7, thank you for clarifying that you set up standing orders.

Co-op Bank removes the marks from your credit file, not Monzo. As it has already refunded you I think it’s reasonable that you ask it to do this.

The Ombudsman can order a bank to remove the marks, but it can’t in this case as your complaint is with Monzo, and only Co-op can deal with the mark, as it placed it on your record. You could, of course, raise a separate complaint with the Co-op to do this.

Moving forward, I would also set up two different direct debits with the Co-op, each to pay a fixed sum every month, both from your Monzo account but each with a different reference pointing to each card. The fixed sum is possible, and I expect the Co-op would prefer to deal with direct debits rather than standing orders as direct debits are the usual way you would pay a fixed sum every month to a credit card. You’ll then benefit from the Direct Debit Guarantee if something goes wrong again.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

7 Likes

Have you got a screenshot of the standing order list; and where they’ve both gone out?

I have two standing orders to pay my old Lloyds account and they are both set with different references and both display the references.

Have you tried deleting them and starting again?

1 Like

Majority of banks have a 14-30 days grace period between the time payment was due and before they decide to report it as a late payment. Has the mark already appeared on your report or has Coop threatened they would put one?

I agree that Monzo bank transfer system is very frustrating. I gave up and do all my transfers from Monzo to Starling and then from Starling to all other banks. Monzo should take responsibility here if this is a technical fault from their side.

But you should also become friends with the Coop bank, because ultimately they can make a decision to remove late marks from your credit report. I would explain the whole story and ask them to see if they can move the payment from one credit card to another proving your initial intention. They call out ethical banking as one of their values so I would definitely try to test it out.

3 Likes

No. They were scheduled payments to come out on pay day. :slight_smile:

Yeah. I’ve had interactions with Monzo where it seemed they’d either just skimmed my post, or mixed up my conversation with another one they were having with someone else.

8 Likes

I think that this problem is endemic with the method of work that Monzo has, which is to constantly pass the issue from one person to another at each individual stage of the customer service process.

7 Likes

That certainly doesn’t help, but I think in my cases, the impression given was that the agents weren’t concentrating, possibly because they were working on more than one case.

3 Likes

Thank you everyone, oh the joys of combined wisdom!

I have set up a direct debit for both coop credit cards.

Next I am next going to raise a formal complaint with the Ombudsman about Monzo’s Payee Override glitch because it needs resolving and their own complaints process has been ineffective.

I am also going to raise the credit score with the Coop and see if they will remove it as I have some acknowledgement from Monzo that it is a software / programming issue.

There are many advantages to Monzo which we know but I would say that having a forum is a major plus!

Cheers and enjoy your weekends :raised_hands:t4:

17 Likes

If you haven’t already done so I think you may need to ask Monzo for a ‘final response’ to your complaint before the ombudsman will investigate.

3 Likes

Sorry. It was just odd to me is all - I guess it’s just the way I use credit cards in that I always pay the statement balance via direct debit.

I am happy you got it fixed. I wasn’t insinuating anything here, just something I’ve never done. I am happy to see it fixed though, or at least a resolution in sight.

Enjoy your weekend too

Thanks for posting this, I wasn’t aware of this bug/glitch but will know to look for it now. Sorry you had all the hassle with it but glad you seem to have gotten an understanding.

Striking for me is that the current Monzo service model just isn’t working for any query that is anything approaching ‘complex’.

5 Likes

It is interesting how different people manage their finances. I know quite a few people who like to manually make the card payment, even though they pay in full each month, which poses the risk forgetting or missing the payment.

The safest route I’ve always recommended is setting up a direct debit for the minimum payment amount regardless of how you choose to pay. If you pay in full before the direct debit date it won’t be collected, but if you forget then you won’t miss the minimum payment.

4 Likes

Yeah, maybe I was assuming things about her financial situation I shouldn’t have been

usually when you make a manual payment even though you put in the reference number before you submit your pin all the details are there to review for you to double check before entering your pin and remember your responsible to make sure all details are correct before making a payment.