Turning off debit card top-ups for new users

Haha indeed. It seems to me to partly exist for people to (actually) argue that they want to pay to transfer their own money around the banking system :rofl::rofl: (see the post above yours)

1 Like

It would be just as equal as now, some customers have the feature, some donā€™t

4 Likes

This might be a dumb question (I donā€™t know the intricate details of how it works) but is it feasible for Monzo to become an acquirer in their own right so they could process cards themselves in the longer-term future rather than paying a third-party (Stripe at the mo)?

I know it would be a huge amount of work for anyone but considering they already have a banking licence and modern infrastructure is it a big stretch? With a potential saving of Ā£5,000,000 is it an option?

1 Like

The only issue with this is itā€™s not helping to encourage people to go Full Monzo. Itā€™s just assisting them to carry on using the service as a ā€œpre paid cardā€.

It would be Monzoā€™s dream for all users to be #FullMonzo

2 Likes

As @cookywook said in his opening piece, it effectively comes down to a mindset (old users still doing it they way they always have).

Out of curiosity @cookywook, can you validate @alexsā€™s point about the above?

Have Monzo ruled out charging a fee for Debit Card top upsā€¦ andā€¦ is it even possible to charge for that, but not for bank transfers as per @anon61087081ā€™s point?

2 Likes

My suggestion would be to stop remembering top-up card details, and instead ask users to enter their card details every time. Adds a bit of friction that might make it a teeny bit more faff than sending money via bank transfer :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Yeah totally agree, Iā€™ve not used top-ups since I joined the CA preview and Iā€™d recommend anyone to go #FullMonzo.

Since weā€™re throwing solutions out there though, is gaining acquirer status not going to remove the bulk of the cost without going for the bait-and-switch pitfall? Also opening a new channel of revenue later on?

Like I said though, I donā€™t have any idea in reality how much work it would entail :slight_smile:

I know people should really be using bank transfers at this stage but itā€™s obvious not everyone can/will for various reasons (most of which I disagree with lol) but Iā€™d hate to see Monzoā€™s rep go down the pan with any backlash to a turnaroundā€¦ In an ideal world those customers would go #FullMonzo and thereā€™d be no issue but itā€™s clearly taking some time for people to get on boardā€¦

2 Likes

My suggestion would be to increase the minimum amount you can top-up.

Itā€™s currently Ā£10, and thatā€™s really convenient. I think immediately increasing the minimum to something like Ā£50/Ā£100 and then maybe even increasing it again in the future if the data says it works.

This will create a little friction and I imagine users are more likely to use bank transfers for fine grain control.

8 Likes

Thatā€™s not a bad idea - I guess in some ways itā€™s similar to @Rat_au_vanā€™s idea of adding more friction into it.

The only downside would be if people ended up sticking with it, it would still cost Monzo (but it would cost them more each time) - Same amount in the end, but bigger chunks each time it happens.

Edit: By ā€œdownsideā€, I mean itā€™s no different to now - Itā€™s not ā€œworseā€, and if it did mean people did it less, than itā€™s a small win for Monzo.

2 Likes

Maybe Iā€™m misremembering something, but didnā€™t Monzo, when they made everyone upgrade to the current account, PROMISE that those upgrading customers would be able to use it in EXACTLY the same way as before?

1 Like

Yes you are, that wouldnā€™t have made sense because a few other things have changed now that the current accounts have launched :wink:

2 Likes

You might not have activated mobile banking.

I thought this might be the case so I was showing how your ā€œludicrousā€ suggestion didnā€™t even make logical sense.

Moron they might be, but maybe they care more about the ease than the cash.

No Iā€™m not.

I checked my emails; hereā€™s an excerpt from my invitation to upgrade;

If youā€™re thinking ā€œI really like my card as it isā€, donā€™t fear. You can upgrade and then continue to use your Monzo account in exactly the same way.

3 Likes

But, oh look, hereā€™s that promise from December 2017.

And it addresses topā€“ups from the start. And thereā€™s me in post #3 saying what I still believe today. And thereā€™s you @Anarchist in post #4 explaining what upgrading means.

And thereā€™s @Naji in post #5 stating in black and white:

(Emphasis mine)

I would say you remembered correctly.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s a little bit more specific :slight_smile: I think Tomā€™s addressed that comment with his point about ā€˜bait & switchā€™.

Although, directly under the part of @Najiā€™s quote you chose, he says:

4 Likes

No problem, not 100% sure myself. All I know is, companies are not allowed to charge for card transactions including Apple Pay/google pay

1 Like

Yes. Bad selective quoting (unintentional).

Like I said, I think topā€“ups are foolish, but Monzo did make a great deal out of the ā€œuse your new current account in exactly the same wayā€ line.

Maybe Monzo selectively quoted the ā€˜exactlyā€™ promise and omitted ā€œbut only until we change it in less than a yearā€ :wink:

1 Like

Thatā€™s a good point, Monzo are set up as a merchant in order to accept these payments (no source :stuck_out_tongue:) so I expect that rule applies to them too.

1 Like

I donā€™t think you can win either way if you charge or donā€™t for top ups. I think itā€™s been good turned off for new members.

2 Likes