Topping-up current account

Same here… Hope Monzo will bring the functionality back soon.

I have gone through the upgrade process but I’m not going to activate my new debit card until I know that this functionality is going to be there when I do. It’s a really big step backwards otherwise, and I hate using my legacy bank’s online payment system!

1 Like

Is there a way to top up the new monzo debit card balance whilst still in the Monzo app?

On the old cards it used to be super easy to click “+” and then add money from another account to top up the monzo card. With the new monzo debit it does not give this option. I either need to go to the bank to transfer money into the monzo account or log on to internet banking which can be super time consuming (I currently have my main account with RBS whose internet banking is very problematic and not really fit for purpose - I can’t really change this as my mortgage and savings are linked to this account).

Is there any chance you could simplify the top up feature for the new debit cards?

Cheers,

Jon

They are planning to add it to the current account soon.

Hey @jon_lmx,

This was removed when the app was upgraded to handle current accounts, but will be returning shortly :ok_hand:

1 Like

Halalujah!!

I just noticed I can now top up with Apple Pay and my debit card on my Monzo current app.

(I’m using TestFlight). Seems like Monzo is making these features live without updates to the TestFlight app. Cheeky!

I love it.

1 Like

I’ve using the standard current account app (not TestFlight) and also just notice that I can now top up from inside the app.

I don’t carry credit debit cards anymore. I will only upgrade my account when top up functionality comes back. If they make this just another debit card I need to know I can operate it just like I could the prepayment card and only lose the money that’s on it until I freeze the card. The lack of proper account details was a plus for me. I have a perfectly good bank account and will never change this. If they start introducing fees to cover people not using it as their main account then it’s bye bye. Hope they don’t try to force their round customers into square holes as they are plenty of new providers to take up the slack

As far as I’m aware the top-up functionality is back and arrived with Pots on both Android and iOS but correct me if I’m wrong (I use Android and top-up is there)?

It can be used as a prepayment card you just need to keep your main CA and top-up Monzo when you want, the only difference is that the cards now come with Sort Code and Account Number.

1 Like

That sounds great then they’ve included that functionality. Unfortunately for monzo to be profitable they need to force their customers to put their income and direct debits onto the account otherwise what’s the point. People change their bank accounts on average once every 106 years IE they don’t do it. I am cynical about monzo ambitions, the main advantage to having a card which you can top up is you lose only the money on it. I have an overdraft on my main current account and if that was on my monzo someone could go on a 30 contactless spending spree on my card. I’ve tried to freeze it every time I use it but I don’t always have an internet connection. They may start introducing fees unless you pay in 1000 a month say. I want to move to being cashless surely there should be a way of doing that in the 21 century without taking risks of stealing your money

Cards by default have a limited number of contactless transactions they will carry out before they require some form of customer verification, ie, chip and pin.
Your transactions are also rate limited at the Monzo end.

1 Like

In the sense that Monzo have always planned to offer current accounts, none of this is actually a surprise.

At worst, the risk of losing all your money is no different to that with any other current account in the country except for the fact that with Monzo you can freeze your card whereas with most other banks, you can’t. It interests me that people seem to hold this account up to a completely different standard to that which they measure others against.

I don’t understand this either.

When I had my legacy bank card cloned I lost hundreds of pounds without even noticing before my bank finally told me that something strange is going on. Then it took many weeks of phone calls and letters until I finally got it all back.

Not to mention that little economic problem from a few years ago which was exclusively caused by these oh so trustworthy banking institutions.

If you give me the choice between Monzo and any high street bank I would much rather trust Monzo with my money

3 Likes

good job my kerv doesnt, there’s no way to plug it in or use a PIN!

I change/ reassess mine every year.

I know many don’t, but I also know many people who do.

That’s because it is a lot riskier propersition than a regular bank it was financed under new banking rules. The idea of fscs protection is even they say you probably won’t need us but it’s good that we are there. One of the challenger banks will go bust soon enough and we will see fscs protection in real life. I am changing to monzo current account but I’m sticking with my regular bank too. If they start charging customers not playing the game ie making it their main account I will re-evaluate that as android pay is will be more established the need for one of these cards and accounts will disappear. It’s also poor that you can’t use the switching service from day 1

Please add this feature.
I am hugely disappointed that this options got turned off. Topping up from my other current account is a huge hassle, and I am still not ready to make the full plunge into Monzo as my prime current account.

You can still do this. I can top up by debit card or Apple Pay :+1:

That feature has been ‘back’ for weeks…

It’s available now, here’s the blog post explaining how it works -