Topping-up current account

Just came across this Topup-In-App limitation today for the first time - couldn’t believe it. Sitting with my Golden-Pass giving friend (still on PP himself) and wasn’t able to Monzo him my share of lunch, as my bank’s app doesn’t work on my phone.

Can’t believe this seemingly basic/important feature got lost when I switch to Current :frowning:

You can do this with Monzo to Monzo payments though…

2 Likes

Would have thought the whole point of an app would be to make things easier? And you remove instant in-app top ups?

Can you please add this feature back? Thought this whole current account thing was meant to be an upgrade.

It is coming back, this has been stated on many other posts

4 Likes

If you read the rest of this thread then you’ll know these features are coming back. In one sense this is still making things easier in the sense that all customers are being divorced from the ongoing issues the prepaid card processor has had recently. Not as visible as an app update, I agree, but still important.

6 Likes

Hi,

I’ve just hit this issue - really, really disappointed to have lost this convenience, and a nasty surprise when I can’t top up when out and about - have had to hassle my wife to do a transfer.

Please provide some meaningful info as to when this will be resolved.

You should really make it clear to people upgrading that they will lose this facility - at this point I am regretting upgrading so enthusiastically.

Cheers,

PhilK

1 Like

Hi @glimmung this been asked repeatedly in several threads. Monzo have said top up feature will be back in 1-2 weeks.

1 Like

To be fair, Phil, it has been posted many many times.

Perhaps you have just missed those posts!

I’ve been offered to upgrade and didn’t know about this community forum before I did, so the posts here didn’t prepare me for loosing this feature, which is essential to my day to day activities. Great that in a couple of weeks it’ll be back. If it was said that before I upgraded, I’d have waited two more weeks, since this is very essential to me. Going to my bank App to make a transfer is rather annoying.

1 Like

You’ll be pleased to know @JordanFish has picked up on this :slight_smile:

I’ve waited to upgrade because of this, so I don’t know if it’s pointed out at any time during the upgrade process.

It is mentioned (in bold) in the invitation to upgrade email, but I didn’t receive the email for a couple of days after the banner was presented in the app.

The solution, whilst not great, is to use Monzo Me to pay yourself. It avoids having to go into your banking app but it does require you to re enter card details every time.

In fairness, I think this issue (of how hard it is to transfer money into Monzo from other Banks) kind highlights why the Monzo offering is so much better compared to archaic legacy banks.

3 Likes

True, but i think that expecting users to check the forum for information is unrealistic considering only 1.3k users out of >400k have been on here in the last 30 days (About - Monzo Community).

Plus, their help page specifically says

Not only will you still have all of the functionality that you love about your prepaid card, but it’ll also include some incredible new features

When their official help page says that, it’s not surprising that users are disappointed to find functionality missing upon ‘upgrading’. Surely the least they could do would be to update their help page until the current account actually has all the functionality the prepaid had.

5 Likes

When you lose functionality as part of an upgrade it’s not really an upgrade. Also is the ATM 3% fee going to be charged for current account use overseas? I thought it would be free for current account holders and would only apply to the prepaid card.

Nope ATM :atm: fee will be for everyone though prepaid cards are going to end in early 2018. Monzo have stopped issuing new ones already.
There will one difference with CA you can do multiple withdrawals up to £200 free but with prepaid you would be only allowed one free withdrawal of up to £200

That wouldn’t make sense at all, I’m afraid, since there won’t be any prepaid cards in a few months!

That’s regrettable given the less expensive options available from other providers. I will hold off from using Monzo until it restores the prepaid functions. No attraction in switching my main bank account for the time being at least.

That’s fine.

I get the impression that a number of people seemed to think that the Monzo product was all about foreign exchange rather than being a different type of bank account. Clearly, there are companies around who actually are all about foreign exchange so these may well have better rates.

2 Likes

I have to admit that saving money on foreign exchange transactions was what attracted me in the first place. Who likes paying out more money than they need to? (Presumably that’s why Monzo introduced charges to their customers using the card overseas to get cash?) And having experienced the app and the prepaid card I was delighted with the whole package. But I don’t think I should be ashamed of viewing the recent loss of functionality and increased costs at foreign atms as a retrograde step. Hopefully my customer satisfaction levels will be restored soon.

Fully agree. Your views are your own and what matters to you will be different to everyone else. If nothing else, Monzo get a good idea of the popularity of the features that have dropped off for the moment.