Topping up by bank transfer / standing order

I use this method to try and keep my main bank account at an even balance, as annoyingly the debit card transfers are quite strict in its denominations. I only use debit when i need to top up in a hurry!

Doing a bank transfer on a Friday morning. Will the payment arrive today or Monday?

1 Like

No guarantee, but there’s a good chance you’ll get it today if you made the transfer via Faster Payments.

I can confirm I just received my money on my :mondo: account. Not sure where the cutoff point is but I originally send the money today at around 8:30 - 9:00.

2 Likes

i think its before 11am then you should be fine

hopefully someone will confirm this…

This seems to have changed. I made two top-ups via bank transfer today (a Sunday), and both were credited to my Monzo card within two hours of when I made the transfer. One transfer made in the morning, one made less than an hour ago. It seems that Monzo have now automated the bank transfer process so it is credited to your account within the Faster Payments timescales, instead of processing everything on weekday mornings around 11am.

:+1: :tada: :clap:

3 Likes

Hi! i didn’t see this in time, and have topped up my card but I didn’t include the reference number like an idiot. Will the money still reach my account or can it go to anyones account?

It’s probably best to message the support team via the in-app chat about that, as they’ll need to resolve this for you anyway.

Now confirmed by the latest blog post:

1 Like

Can a friend abroad top up my account using this?
& if so - are there any costs to them (or me) ?

(long story…but they lost their wallet on a work trip to the States, so I paid their hotel bill - around 400 Euros - & now they want to reimburse me the cheapest way they can!)

thanks

Yes they can, assuming that they’re transferring the money from a UK account, there’s no charge for either of you.

If you need the money sooner, you could use Monzo.me (iOS overview & Android overview) but if you have the option, a bank transfer saves Monzo money :slight_smile:

Just bear in mind that monzo.me has limits so they may have to make several (quick) payments & you can only receive so much through it each month etc.

I meant from their local foreign account…

I’m not quite sure why you’ve quoted my earlier post there I’m afraid. But to answer your question, if they’re transferring money to you from their foreign bank account or paying you from a foreign card using Monzo.me & their account stores their money in a foreign currency, then it won’t cost you anything but their bank will probably charge them to convert the transfer / payment into GBP.

1 Like

Cheapest way would be to use something like TransferWise. Once you know how much you were charged in sterling they can transfer the same amount to your UK bank account for just a small fee and most likely a much better FX rate than what their bank would offer for a direct transfer.

2 Likes

How do i credit my sons monzo card using a bank transfer? Because monzo has no bank account or sort code i cant seem to transfer money with my bank app

I’ve moved your post here to keep all of the info about this process in one place.

This is the bit that enables Monzo to link your top-up to your son’s card -

I hope that helps :slight_smile:

Is there an IBAN number for transferring money from an international bank to Monzo?

A friend of mine is trying to transfer funds from her US bank to Monzo via TransferWise. She ‘somehow’ managed to use the Monzo account number, sort code and personal 9-digit reference number (as mentioned in the first post of this thread) and TransWise say that the transfer is complete, however unsurprisingly her US account has not been debited and no money was transferred.

I got a reply from @samw in in-app chat:

2 Likes

Thanks @BobT :grin:

In case anyone prefers to copy and paste, here are the details in plain text :thumbsup:

Bank: BARCLAYS
Address registered to account: GRAINGER CHAMBERS, 3-5 HOOD STREET, NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE, NE1 6JQ, UK
IBAN: GB62 BARC 2059 4213 2195 85
Barclays SWIFT BIC (Bank Identifier Code): BARCGB22

And as with all top ups, please don’t forget to enter your card token as the reference so it can get to you automatically :money_with_wings:

6 Likes

Thanks @samw :grin:

I did try to copy the text from your msg for the exact same reason but the in-app chat doesn’t allow it :cry:

2 Likes