Top up feature gone?

Dear Monzo team,

I just upgrade my Monzo card to Debit. I noticed that the way to top up the account is not as friendly, easy and fast as before. With Monzo Debit you need to top up from another bank account using sort-code and account number.
The old system was much better, just pressing + button and transfering money inserting the 16 digits from another card (which then could be saved).
I believe you are losing a big benefit of having Monzo. Now top up is much longer and more difficult. What’s the point of having Monzo if works as per any other debit card?

Many thanks

Marco

1 Like

As previously mentioned on this page, it is coming soon to the current accounts but it will be after the prepay system has been shut down I believe.

1 Like

I’m hoping the feature does come soon. There are quite a few people I know who aren’t (yet) interested in moving all their direct debits/standing orders/salary and would like to just use the current account like the prepaid card, including the “topup” functionality.

It is so simple to set up Monzo as a payee from your other bank account, really it is simple!

1 Like

Converting to current account doesn’t mean you have to move any direct debits or salary over - you can still use it exactly like the PP card. It’s just the topup from debit cards is gone for now - but it’s definitely coming back soon.

Really worrying to see so many users being migrated over to the current account before there is feature parity - this has the potential to turn a lot of people off the product for good.

7 Likes

they are not being migrated, they are chosing to migrate…and clearly not reading all the info which does tell them about this issue

And yet it is a lot of hassle to make a payment from HSBC. The current account would not be usable conveniently for me the way I used the prepaid. That’s why I decided to go all in and make it my main account

However, I imagine at the same juncture many may choose to stop their monzo experiment. I’m partly motivated by my extreme hatred of HSBC

3 Likes

I think there is a lot of confusion around being prompted to ‘Upgrade your Monzo Account’.

Most people are not going to read the fine print so I don’t think it’s entirely unreasonable for them to be surprised to find they have lost some key features after being asked to ‘Upgrade’

2 Likes

People should read what they are migrating to and indeed signing up to!

4 Likes

They should, but they don’t always. And from the perspective of Monzo’s reputation, if people are currently surprised and disappointed by the loss of card top-up (whatever the rights and wrongs), I think it would be good to adjust the process so it’s not a surprise, and people are clear that they can hold off for the moment if this is a key feature for them. Monzo is likely to draw people in who use it as a top-up account, see how amazing it is, and then start using more ‘normal’ banking features.

7 Likes

no matter how many times you make something clear, people are always gonna be upset, surprised or asking the same question that has already been mentioned

2 Likes

Just to reiterate down here at (what is currently) the bottom of the thread. Top ups by debit card will be returning and work is being done on it right now. :credit_card::money_with_wings:

I don’t know what the launch timeline for it is though! :see_no_evil:

5 Likes

To some extent. If people are being told on their home screen they can “upgrade” then the natural thing would be to assume that all the core features are present. If someone has been using the account to top up small amounts regularly then that isn’t the case as they currently lose that functionality. Also, bear in mind not everyone will have mobile access setup with their other accounts so saying “it’s easy to send money across” isn’t helpful to someone who was used to just topping up within the Monzo app.

4 Likes

Fair comment, I still maintain it’s easy to transfer money to the Monzo bank account

2 Likes

It is for most but there are going to be some cases it’s a pain - some banking apps and websites logins are akin to torture. So you can see why just hitting ‘Top up’ and money moving via a saved card instantly was handy.

2 Likes

I completely agree with the original poster.
The massive pain of logging in to my previous bank account is one reason I liked the convenience of Monzo so much.
So now if I’m in a shop and realise I forgot to top up monzo, I have to stand their for several minutes while I log into my other bank account, and transfer funds? err… no.
I usually read the details carefully but somehow missed this was happening.

3 Likes

I really like the idea that the Monzo Card now has an Account Number and Sort Code. However, I found a bit annoying the new TOP UP which asks you to go to your Debit Card Internet Banking and do a payment to transfer the money, which means open another app, put the password, add a new payment receiver, put the password again, and then send the money. I’m not the kind of person that actually put a lot of money inside the Monzo, but I like to send small amounts every time I need. What I really loved about Monzo was how you were able to top up your card straightaway and now it becomes as the other debit cards. At this point it’s easier use directly my debit card without topping up the Monzo.

And specifically:

So you should be able to use the top-up again within a couple of weeks.

1 Like

Hey Amelie,
Welcome to the forum. There’s huge amounts of info here (over 2 years worth). Use the magnifying glass at the top right to see if something has been posted before.
In the meantime, I’ve moved your post here.

2 Likes