Top up feature gone?

This is a massive oversight by Monzo, because despite those that defend the current process, it is in no way as easy or convenient to perform as the PP top-up and does not honour the ‘use it (CA) just as you did Pre-Pay’. Silly omission when the project is to convert people successfully (and energy clearly went into enabling NFC Android-only activation of the new card instead - starting to worry that Monzo has its priorities all wrong here and the CA isn’t ready for primetime). Sadly I will drain my transfered balance and then wait until this is reinstated before I start using my CA in earnest. Monzo is failing to convince me to use the CA as my main account when its capable of such silly omissions. More legacy than Fintech.

1 Like

I don’t think anyone is ‘defending’ bank transfers as a complete replacement for top-ups. The plan has always been for top-ups to return, and we’re told this will be very soon. Those that require top-ups can wait until they’re available :soon: before migrating.

1 Like

Did I miss the announcement where Monzo said it wasn’t coming back?
People are acting like it’s the end of the world. Wait a few weeks guys. All is good.

7 Likes

This seems like the statement of choice when anyone doesn’t like anything about Monzo, starling et al.

5 Likes

Sorry, but I don’t consider it progressive behaviour when a young offering releases an update that excludes previously existing functionality. Defining a MVP of a revised offering to exclude existing functionality in my book means one of two things: poor MVP definition or a rushed release that required functionality to be omitted. Clearly Monzo has needed to reduce its cost base in a hurry.

They have replaced a prepaid with a current account so by all accounts you could argue they are not the same product and therefore the MVP has changed. That said if you don’t keep up to date on the forums then this fact around top up by card not being present initially post upgrade can easily be missed/not clear.

1 Like

There have been several comments previously suggesting that the alternative to the Pre-Pay top up is really simple, easy, etc. People are welcome to that opinion, just as others are entitled to theirs. If I drew up a user journey for both approaches, it would be pretty obvious which was the shorter journey. And to the point about my ‘more legacy than fintech’, isn’t this the perfect example? Jump through the hoops of your legacy bank (an utter nightmare for HSBC customers wishing to have a mobile journey) in order to support our ‘better’ solution. It’s an entirely legacy approach to top up, when PP had a great ‘fintech’ Solution.

Thank god the functionality will be reinstated eventually :grinning:

I don’t know, did you?

I haven’t seen anyone suggest it isn’t ever. Certainly I didn’t. Clearly not everyone fully absorbed the implications of upgrading, and might have chosen to express their frustration via this community (funnily enough, something Monzo asked me to do by email today).

While we all enjoy the community, not everyone has the time or inclination to participate in this way, read the blog etc. Some people just want to have a banking facility!

Not sure what that says about the rest of us! :grinning:

“Clearly Monzo has needed to reduce its cost base in a hurry.”

crikey they haven’t spent their £71,000,000 already - Clearly thats a quick spend :slight_smile:

:slight_smile:

1 Like

Ha! No, but I suspect that had to make a number of commitments to secure that amount.

1 Like

yes I don’t think anybody invests £71,000,000 into a business that “clearly needs funds” without exacting a high price :slight_smile: strange that the share price went up from £1.00 to £2.35 to buy in to the failure :slight_smile: … /s

Upgraded to the current account and as far as I can tell it just removed some useful features! Hmmm, should have read the small print.

How long until the top up from the app returns? Apple pay or whatever, don’t care, just want the rapid top up option back in the app. Bank transfer from another app is a PITA.

From further back up the thread, this suggests “during November” so it’s looking like a couple of weeks or so.

2 Likes

Your loss if it’s stolen is zero, surely?

1 Like

Hi all, first post here.

Is it possible to revert back to using my pre-pay Mastercard card, rather than current account? The lack of Android Pay top-ups has made my card pretty much useless, and I’d like to switch up to how it was before. Any option for this?

Thanks,

David

Sorry mate it’s not possible - Prepaid are being phased out. Monzo is not issuing any new Prepaid cards and all existing prepaid card will be gone in early next year. Android top-ups are coming back very soon for new CAs so keep an eye for an update in next couple of weeks.

2 Likes

Hey @calamity_gammon!

Great to see a new face on the forum :slight_smile:

Unfortunately it isn’t possible to revert back to the prepaid programme :frowning: As @SC95 says, the prepaid cards will be phased out in the New Year. However, the lack of Top Ups has been noted and hopefully an update will be rolling out in the next few days to address that :slight_smile:

In the meantime, as the Current Account functions like any normal bank account (with the addition of all the cool Monzo stuff) you can use your account number/sort code to FPS money in from another bank instantly. I know this requires logging in and everything, which is a pain, but top ups will be back sooner rather than later :slight_smile:

1 Like

It should really have been rolled out before it was released, but I appreciate it’s being worked on. At the moment I don’t use mobile banking for my other bank, so Android Pay was my method of topping up.

Thanks for the reply!

2 Likes

When you updated, did the screens say that topup is temporarily unavailable? I thought it was made clear, but maybe not.

1 Like

Might have been mentioned in an E-Mail or a blog too but then maybe not :eyes:

1 Like