Things Monzo has given up on

How about Monzo product a LOP list (list of open points) and update monthly on here, for their stakeholders? Status could be prioritised, delayed due to abc, on schedule for testing xyz, etc.

Most people understand things happen, however knowing the status keeps people engaged and not giving up on things they thought should be available by now.

5 Likes

This is a very good idea.

Hi @simonb, the vast majority of our annoyance (I think) around CRA reporting, has come from the above quote (from someone who used to work at Monzo it looks like).

Your reply sounds a little more like a lazy Friday afternoon might involve a little discussion around CRAā€™s, but it will be the first to get postponed if something else comes upā€¦ (we all have those meetings).

I know the whole ā€œcoming soonā€ is a long running joke, but this was very clearly ā€œwe are planning this early 2019ā€ā€¦

Then the ā€œwe are driving for profitā€ manifesto came out, and it feels like all of the boring (but useful) core account features were put on hold in place of money making features.

5 Likes

I wasnā€™t aware of that comment, nor what the priority looked like at the time it was posted or how that shifted - she isnā€™t still with the company to be clear, but I doubt thatā€™s hugely relevant to the point.

It would be hugely irresponsible for me to give specifics about the discussions being had, but I can at least say we take them incredibly seriously, not just ā€œa little discussion on a Friday afternoonā€. Youā€™re talking about commercial deals and appropriate pricing that would affect almost 3 million people, and within a couple of years may well apply to 5-10 million or more.

My reply wasnā€™t intended to be flippant or downplay the situation - in fact quite the opposite. The fact that discussion is ongoing is as much as itā€™s appropriate to say for the reasons given above.

8 Likes

My comment was a slight attempt at lightening the situation somewhatā€¦ Obviously all things being discussed are important.

Itā€™s more that in this specific instance, we were actually given a rough timeframe from someone who was clearly working on itā€¦ and itā€™s since completely vanished, with zero updates from anyone (until your comment).

Is there a chance we could get an update from someone working on the integration? Even if itā€™s to say ā€œnot in the immediate futureā€¦ but hopefully in 2020ā€ or something?

4 Likes

Id like to see another Roadmap product. I work as a Product Manager and could not function without a Roadmap. It gives the visibility of what is being worked on/planned with transparent timescales.

2 Likes

This is the crux I think - aside from any one particular issue (since different folks will have different priorities). And I actually had a conversation with Naji about this yesterday (although heā€™s now away for a few weeks!)

Allow me to be candid here, and excuse my stream-of-consciousness thoughts. Disclaimer, these are my thoughts only, Iā€™m not speaking for the company or anyone elseā€™s thoughts.

Community team agreed earlier in the year that update/roadmap ownership and engagement would be handed over to a newly formed Product Marketing collective. It seemed an obvious move, after all, they are the ones working on all these things day to day.

What I think we perhaps didnā€™t account for (perhaps because Marketing and Community have traditionally always been a joint discipline at Monzo in the past) was for community engagement really being something that the new marketing collective really wanted to solidify as a tangible goal or instantly understand the value of. We assumed that would be the case, and I think itā€™s fair to say that it hasnā€™t always been. Ultimately this is probably our fault - we hired marketing managers, not community managers, and as far as I can see, the marketers weā€™ve hired are actually doing a pretty great job at what their goals actually are, which is things like getting more users to use various features, creating trackable metrics, increasing daily and monthly actives of various things. I do believe that it is a goal for some of them - Business Banking springs to mind as one area that is definitely invested in community engagement.

So whereas the Marketing team has grown exponentially, Community team actually hasnā€™t grown at all in the last 12 months. And clearly thereā€™s only so much knowledge and so much capacity from us to update you all, as well as creating solid feedback loops into product development.

The good news is that we are hiring a Community Lead, whose job it will be to figure a lot of this stuff out.

11 Likes

I certainly agree that a product roadmap is important for a company and it would be great if this could be shared with its customers and community. However, by not sharing it doesnā€™t mean Monzo donā€™t have one which theyā€™re following.

1 Like

@urban I think credit reference agency reporting is done! I can see a Monzo account on my TransUnion file from when a First bus ticket sent me into my Ā£20 overdraft buffer.

Weā€™ve always reported to TransUnion (previously CallCredit) - folks are wanting us to report to other agencies as well :grinning:

Of course, I forgot the big 3! :smiley: Experian reporting certainly would be valuable but I imagine it comes with both financial and development overheads that make things tricky on Monzoā€™s end!

On CRAs, I feel obliged to give a contrary view every time this comes up. I know the role that they play in our society, but I do not want Monzo (or anyone else) giving more of them my data. So Iā€™m happy that there is minimum reporting at the moment - please donā€™t take the clamour of a few folk on here to mean that the community universally wants their data given to anyone who might be in that market.

Speaking of which, and I know that commercial discussions are (sadly in my view) shrouded by seemingly excess secrecy, but did we ever establish who pays whom? I mean, Monzo is giving a CRA, and potentially other CRAs our data. Does the CRA pay them for that? Or is there a two-way charge whereby Monzo charges for the data it provides to CRAs, then they charge Monzo for the data they hold on customers?

Iā€™m not sure that that would be helpful. This thread is, in many ways, hoisting Monzo by its own petard - you yourself quoted a (former) Monzonaut who gave an update which turned out to be wrong. I can understand why they wouldnā€™t want to come along again, given this thread and the surrounding furore.

That all said, I think thereā€™s definitely room for some expectations management and some clarity. It does feel sometimes like what is a priority for the community (merchant updates, for example) arenā€™t the priority for Monzo. Just saying that is sometimes helpfulā€¦

5 Likes

I can see this viewpoint, and itā€™s fine for someone who has got a built up history with multiple accounts across multiple CRAā€™s.

But weā€™ve seen a few times the impact that only having a Monzo account brings to someone who is young, and perhaps chooses Monzo as their first account.

Right now, my opinion would be the negative far outweighs the positive (which in your case, is simply reporting your data to 2 other CRAā€™s who likely already have some data on you anyway).

3 Likes

Thatā€™s fine for you, but that effectively makes monzo impossible to reccomend for those new to the UK or new to banking.

2 Likes

Not at all. Monzo will still work for them.

If youā€™re looking to build up your credit history, seek out products to do that. Get on the electoral roll. Put utilities in your name. Find a credit card thatā€™s aimed at building credit. Or, if youā€™re really paranoid about this and want your data shared with as many folk as possible, open an account at a high street bank as well.

Listen, othersā€™ views will differ. All Iā€™m saying is that the minimisation of personal data sharing can only be - in aggregate - a good thing. I acknowledged that CRAs are currently essential for the way our society works. But that doesnā€™t mean that we shouldnā€™t aspire for better, though.

5 Likes

This is what makes it impossible to recommend. You shouldnā€™t have to open a second account because monzo have made the decision (purely fiscally) to only report to 1 niche CRA, if it was just Experian, fine! But TransUnion are niche.

I work in credit, CRA checks are expensive. Not only is their credit checks, there is added AML checks etc, credit providers arenā€™t going to spend more on reference checks just to deal with monzo.

2 Likes

Letā€™s break this down:

Only if someone wants one - and only one - account. And thatā€™s if you accept that having a bank account that reports everywhere is essential. Iā€™m not convinced it is - thereā€™s other ways of building a profile.

I havenā€™t read anywhere why Monzo went with TransUnion, or whatever they used to be called. Happy to be corrected, but it seems like an assumption on your part that it was the cheapest. I mean, thatā€™s not unreasonable, but I canā€™t see anywhere where thatā€™s been confirmed.

Iā€™ll stop there as this thread is going way off-topic, but I certainly wouldnā€™t my data reported to Experian.

Thereā€™s no rights and wrongs here - just different opinions. Which is why weā€™re here, I suppose.

3 Likes

Correct, it is complete conjucture on my part, I have no idea of the deal Monzo have, but experience dealing and negotiating with CRAā€™s.

And after the CreditKarma mess, I wouldnā€™t be so happy with TU either!

No malice at all from my side, I get my salary paid directly into Monzo and Iā€™m happy. But if they can improve, I will happily be vocal about it. I want the best product for everyone, and I feel they are selling themselves short on this one.

2 Likes

If given the option, Iā€™d opt-out of my data being reported to TransUnion too.

3 Likes

Iā€™m with @Peter_G on this one ā€“ Iā€™m somewhat stunned that people are upset because Monzo arenā€™t sharing their data. This is a definite bonus imo, I hate the credit agencies and am glad they donā€™t get more of my data. And the huge Equifax fuck-up in the US, and them not being properly held to account, shows that the sharing also puts us at greater risk.

3 Likes