The Monzo Roadmap

Not asking for an absolute date just trying to understand the use of the moving 3 months window and what it adds really?

The only thing we can get from the roadmap at the moment is that items in the near term will be released before items in the medium term which will be released before items in the long term. That’s fine if that’s all they want to share but why add in a moving\floating timeframe?

I think a “Q2 2017” type timeframe is a better way to display the information as it still covers a large time period but also gives the reader an idea of what they are aiming for.

Just a thought as someone quite new and reading the roadmap for the first time and trying to make sense of the timeframes (or not :slight_smile:) .

This is the best way to take it, in my opinion. I read it as an upcoming feature list which is in priority order.

5 Likes

Just a heads up - Tristan has told me, in the developer’s Slack team, that the order of the cards in each list is random, they’re not ordered by priority. (The message has been archived now so unfortunately I can’t show you a screenshot).

1 Like

That’s not totally true, but broadly true :slight_smile: I think the value is totally in knowing our priority order and being able to infer dates from it is pretty simple IMO. We’ve also done stuff on it that wasn’t there originally, so some things get pushed back. @Reck surely Q2 2017 is no different to 3-6 months from now?

2 Likes

Sorry, I meant first priority is 0-3 months, next is 3-9 etc etc. Not necessarily the order in each category.

1 Like

Correct but you’re doing neither at the moment.

You said earlier that all the times are relative to now. So last week was 3 months away, tomorrow will be 3 months away, next week will be 3 months away. If you say Q2 2017 the timeframe reduces each day as you progress towards the goal.

I worked on a project for a financial firm where hard dates were shown and it was a mess with timescale slipages all the time and their knock on effect on later parts in the plan. The current system Monzo use of 0-3, 3-6, 6-9 or whatever is much more practical and stops customers moaning because you are a week or month behind

2 Likes

Q2 2017 should not be considered a hard date. The roadmap from what i’m quickly understanding is a rough plan so I suppose you could consider the dates an aspiration or a target to aim for.

No one should be moaning if they understand this as targets are missed all the time. As we have it now we have no target to aim for!

but I can assure you from experience when you publish say New Debit cards Q1 or Jan and they end up moving to Q2 or Feb customers notice and they do moan. You waste your time trying to justify reasons why the slippage occurred and they are still upset. Better to use the system we have in place

3 Likes

I always took the months as general indicators. Until a feature is released we should always consider it as being that many months away whether it was added to the board yesterday or 2 months ago.

4 Likes

real world tho…

1 Like

@alexs did Monzo share its product development process somewhere? I’d be interested by their method. How they prioritise, do sprints, how their PMs, devs and designers work together…etc.

3 Likes

Am I right in saying that the roadmap is now irrelevant, given that certain features are still labelled [Android] and haven’t been updated since January?

My current understanding is that the Android and iOS CA apps will be developed alongside one another and that it’s not a simple case of porting a feature from the prepaid version to the CA version of the app… Is there any idea of the timescales for this?

1 Like

Not at all, @Naji was updating it just recently I believe?

I am merely confused as there are no entries such as ‘Targets [iOS]’.

Monzo are planning to close down the prepaid app soon and I can’t imagine they’ll do so without the iOS CC app being on par with the prepaid app. This implies that they have either developed the iOS features ahead of Android again or have ported the features from the prepaid app and have been far from ‘transparent’ about the future parity and their reasons for not developing the Android app.

I’ve done some reading (based upon MonzoHQ talks) and it sounds like the CC apps are going to be paired down versions of the prepaid apps (for both iOS and Android).

This sounds like it will be a major pain point for people used to certain features (especially on iOS; i.e. ‘targets’).

The full current account is in the prepaid app, not in a new app. Therefore some features will need some changes but they’re not abandoning the old codebase.

3 Likes

Okay that makes sense. I’m just slightly concerned about the cliff edge certain users will be faced with when forced to give up the prepaid card for a more basic CC version.

I’m guessing Monzo will have to overhaul their website etc as it is currently full of features that soon won’t be available.

Targets are very much still there in the CA app.

Sorry, but you’re not making a lot of sense to me. Why would features be made unavailable from the app once Current Accounts move into it? monzo.me and card top-ups are taking a backward step but that’s the only one I can think of right now. What else is ‘going’ from the app?