Ted Lasso talk (Apple TV)

Not a member of the LGBTQ+ community but I have to admit that I was expecting a “coming out” story when I started watching it.

The lack of representation didn’t register with me, otherwise. I don’t know whether that’s a good thing or bad…

1 Like

Agreed. Not every show needs it. It creates a sense of unrealism when it’s forced into everything everywhere.

With that said, Ted Lasso has touched upon it a bit and dropped hints that one of the team may be gay. They don’t need to force that into a narrative just to make a political statement though. It’s better when those aspects are handled organically with realism and authenticity, as opposed to trying to just fill a stereotypical minority representative roster of characters like a lot of Netflix shows do. It’s practically a formula now and it feels so insincere and forced.

3 Likes

I don’t need a gay character to be able to enjoy a show. I wouldn’t want that to be the default way shows are made either.

You don’t need to have a special narrative to have a diverse cast that’s represenative of one of the most diverse cities in the world. Characters can just be non-white or LGBQT without having to have a specific storyline about it.

2 Likes

I didn’t notice that but, now that I think about it, it could work. Not as a political statement but just for the story. So long as it’s not the Dutch guy - that would be rather stereotypical. Maybe Dani?

Right, and one could argue they already have that. They just haven’t devoted a narrative to it.

It’s the Welsh guy (don’t remember his name)! When Keeley was promoting Bantr, he compared it to Grindr.

2 Likes

The one with the Lambo who was going to Sharon and telling himself he is a capable man? Agreed if they’re the same.

1 Like

Yep! It’s actually referenced in the article posted above! Keeley also made a reference back in season 1 that implied she’s Bi.

Of course! Colin?

2 Likes

Colin! Yes! #WelshIndependance

1 Like

I thought that was pretty obvious, tbh. I think she’s great :grin:

2 Likes

Ok, so I’ve got to admit, when they first started advertising this show, I just dismissed it and thought it would be a painful to watch ‘American fish out of water’ sit com with lashings of Football (something I’m not actually interested in).

Last weekend I was a tad bored and couldn’t find anything to watch so thought I’d give the first episode a try - and then ended up binge watching both seasons over the week.

So, yes - now I can see what the fuss is about. I’m going to give ‘See’ a try as well now - that was another show I think got a few initial bad reviews with people trying to find things to complain about (“if they’re blind - why are they wearing clothes?” Maybe because they also want to be warm…??)

At the moment I think I’m watching more Apple TV than any other service right now…

5 Likes