Starling Discussion & Feedback

Does anyone know if Starling has the same feature as Monzo where it tells you upcoming direct debits in your feed?

Yes it does.

1 Like

It also shows upcoming BACS payments :+1:

4 Likes

Thats a handy feature as some of my commercial clients pay with Bacs, so itā€™s handy to see when it on its way

Try now. Got an e-mail today saying they were rolling it out and after loging in my account it was there.

2 Likes

Nope still not showing for me!!

Did you join the waiting list?

Is apparently only being rolled out to people who joined the waiting list

Monzo show upcoming BACS or starling ? I donā€™t see advance notice of my salary which I assume is BACS

Yep! Thanks for the heads up!

Yes I did

I believe both Starling and Monzo show this.

2 Likes

Iā€™m a Starling account holder myself and generally as things go, I love the account. Not sure I see the point of a ā€˜heads upā€™ of direct debits going out from personal accounts, or indeed my pension payment notification popping up the night before, but I guess for some people, stuff like that is useful.

I find it really useful. The ones that go out on the first of the month I know about anyway. However, DD notifications for things like PayPal are very useful. When you make a PayPal payment and pay from your bank account, they take the money by DD. You have no idea when that money will leave your account. With the early notification, you know the day before how much is leaving your amount the following day.

7 Likes

I use Starling Bank with my Paypal account all of the time, though almost exclusively with instant payment from debit card. I think Iā€™ve only used Paypal direct debit once with Starling for an item I wanted to inspect before payment was taken. I can therefore see the usefulness of a heads up notification in that respect, but I guess I just use my account a little differently and I donā€™t really need those sorts of notifications. At the end of the day, itā€™s my ā€˜man caveā€™ account so the money in it is entirely mine, separate from the joint accounts I hold with my Wife.

1 Like

Me too. For one I just like to know, but itā€™s also saved my bacon more than a few times as I generally run my account with a low balance.

2 Likes

A few months back, I had a bit of a downer on Starling. In fact, I almost dumped them but things got better, especially once I started using my Starling Debit card abroad. Iā€™ve accepted that whenever I submit logo improvements that they just donā€™t get done anymore, well they donā€™t get done for me. I asked for a new Teal debit card the other week and I got one within 36 hours. My Amex payments run flawlessly through Starling Bank and I really do love the instant notifications on spending. My Wife also now has a Starling account and she likes it too.

2 Likes

Care to expand on this?

I did actually expand on that in the Amex thread, but seeing as you ask, I set up my Amex credit card payment through Starling Bank. When I pay my Amex statement, I just put in the amount and press pay and itā€™s instantaneous, both from Starling and account payment with Amex. The notifications of payment are just a second apart. That for me is ā€˜flawlessā€™. Not sure how I can expand on that any further?..

1 Like

Credit where itā€™s due - when I asked for a Teal debit card so I could do Post Office deposits, I had mine in about 36 hours after requesting as well. Canā€™t fault that at all. Still prefer the old colour (and embossed) card, but thatā€™s purely a personal preference, not a service issue at all.

The most frustrating thing with Starling over the last six months has been the continued lack of updates to merchant images and information - I used to send them a tonne of updates (name and location as well as images), all of which were/are ignored. Monzo in comparison remains pretty good on this. It might take a week or so, but they get done. Iā€™ve had Starling still fail to update stuff I submitted to them six months ago, so itā€™s not even a backlog issue.

The first time I used my Starling card abroad (Turkey, 2017) it let me down constantly, as only one of the two major card processing platforms in Turkey recognised it (the other declined/failed every transaction). Monzo worked fine on both. However, since then Iā€™ve found both cards to be equally reliable abroad, and Starlingā€™s more generous limits make it my preferred option for travelling if Iā€™m away for more than a day or so.

3 Likes

Fair enough

Thought it was a deeper intergrationā€¦