Starling Discussion & Feedback

Personally I wouldn’t argue it. You know you’re in the wrong and they do too.

In my opinion, it is best that you swallow your pride on this and chalk it up as a lesson learned. Don’t keep your pin number written on paper with your card.

Any other route and you risk paying a lot more in added fees and damaging your credit rating. This at its worse will stay with you for many years and then will have a knock on effect for all sorts of things in your life. One of those being that you will get worse interest rates which will then cost you even more.

3 Likes

Don’t pay it, it will get written off in 6 years :slight_smile:

…and in the meantime struggle with getting any credit ever again. It’s seriously not worth it. Set up an arrangement with them to repay it, and keep to it.

10 Likes

It’ll be fine, in a years they can just go on MSE and say how they are being hounded by debt collectors.

Sorry, not intending to be mean. But this is a valuable (and expensive) lesson.

I have a friend who keeps a piece of paper in his wallet with three random PINs written on it. The idea being that if someone gets hold of his wallet, they will attempt the PINs and his card(s) will get swallowed by the machine.

19 Likes

That is genius.

4 Likes

That really is

I’m doing it

4 Likes

I’ve decided to pay. Thanks everyone for your responses.

8 Likes

A very wise move.

3 Likes

So it gets passed to a debt collector that could try collecting it for years all that time its on your credit record, 5 years and 10 months later you get a court judgement, so those 6 years turns into 12.

People always forget that part when they mention 6 years.

3 Likes

If you do not acknowledge the debt exists then it becomes statute barred after 6 years, it’s only if you respond they can get you.

You need to get your facts right, you don’t need to acknowledge a debt for it to go to court, so my point is very valid. And lets not bother getting into an argument about this, as this is about Starling. Not about who’s right and wrong. I’ve dealt with numerous cases over the years with people trying statued barred and it not sticking. With a bank they keep records, they can prove the debt is yours, so no court will chuck it out, which means a county court judgment is simple for a debt collector, and there are many thousands of cases a year that prove its simple.

2 Likes

What is statute barred debt?

When a debt has been outstanding for some time, with no payments being made or communication from the debtor, the debt can become what is known as ‘statute barred.’ When debts are statute barred it means they’re no longer enforceable, and the debtor is not required by law to pay the amount outstanding.

The Limitation Act, 1980, places a time limit of six years on many outstanding unsecured debts, and 12 years on some mortgage arrears. In England, Wales and Northern Ireland, the debt remains in existence but a creditor is unable to initiate court proceedings to recover it. In Scotland, a debt that is statute barred is ‘extinguished,’ which means that it no longer exists in law.

https://www.infolaw.co.uk/partners/what-is-statute-barred-debt/

You forgot a bit.

Criteria for statute barred debt

The following criteria are generally applied to establish whether unsecured debt, such as credit or store cards, is statute barred:

• Six years have passed since a repayment was made, and
  • The debtor has not acknowledged that the debt exists, either by payment or correspondence with the creditor, and
  • The lender has not obtained a court judgment or decree in relation to that debt
4 Likes

I had an issue with Lloyds years ago and refused to payback an overdraft. They didn’t do a thing, they sold the debt to a debt collector who sold it on and they sold it on. 2 years later nothing not a word.

Was it on my file, yes. Did it go after 6 years yes.

Did I get court letters, probably I can’t remember.

End of the day after 6yrs it was removed from my file and nothing happened and I didn’t acknowledge a thing.

Well, if your strategy is to hope your creditor won’t take any action, good luck!

4 Likes

It’s still very dangerous advice as not all lenders will ignore it. A smaller bank would probably be more likely to try and collect

12 Likes

of course Lloyd’s think that’s all we do

:thinking: :eyes:

2 Likes

Paywalls.

Was a bit intrigued!