Starling Discussion & Feedback

(Sacha Zarb) #1149

Looks like are trying to appeal older then whats usually expected from a consumer Fintech. Have they brought any TV time or is a web only campaign?

All of their adverts seem to target a slightly older audience (certainly the video adverts I’ve seen).

Makes sense to target people who will likely have more money I suppose (although I’ve seen some snapchat ads as well).

Haven’t seen any on TV, the closest was the “naked” advert they had at the cinema which was… Different…

I find them cringeworthy, but that’s almost certainly because I’m not the audience :face_with_thermometer:

Good on starling for identifying their targets and going all out with something memorable though

Hm… how old the average Starling customer is? 40s?

Suddenly l feel ancient. R-

Anyone who has a Animoji profile picture automatically gets 10 years knocked off their age @RogerB :joy:

(Jamie 🏳️‍🌈) #1155

I am the target audience (full Starling user) and I find them naff. More like a GCSE project than a C21st tech company. “I borrowed a grand and bought a bathroom!” Wow! Aspirational!

And I’m queer as folk but a same sex couple in banking adverts is now most definitely a massive cliche. If we’re not opening joint accounts in the comfort of our own home, we’re hugging horses on the beach or proposing in the street.

(Michael) #1156

Must say that it is hard to keep up!

Not so long ago advertisers would be getting much worse grief for the opposite

A progress of sorts

(Jamie 🏳️‍🌈) #1157

Oh it’s definitely progress, of sorts, but when these same banks can’t get their heads past trad gendered titles it’s not as progressive as it appears.

(Sacha Zarb) #1158

I also found them some of the most middle class ads I’ve ever seen (and I say that as a full signed up member of the Metropolitan Liberal Elite)

They forgot the Subaru! That would have been truly awesome… :joy:

Anyone know what this teaser is about? Euro accounts?!

Very kind Nick, but you already took about 15 off. Any further reduction and I’ll be eligible for a young savers account somewhere. R-

(Jamie 🏳️‍🌈) #1162

I don’t know what this means, sadly.

(Ashley) #1164

Starling also doesn’t have to rely on customer numbers - the supplementary businesses are effectively the money winner. Its just like Apple taking the headlines, while Microsoft overtakes them on shareprice making money on their infrastructure (i.e Azure) - but they don’t need the hard customer numbers Apple do for buying phones.

I kind of get the point. But the current account needs to wash its face. If not, why offer it - or indeed advertise it?

(Ashley) #1167

Using the Microsoft vs Apple example - Microsoft have similar product lines (apart from phones) to Apple, just they are not the main profit generator or leading segment. It becomes a ‘poster child’ for the main event.

I think Starling are using the current account as a ‘front’ for their other services - it is far trendier to be talking about the consumer account than services.

(Marcel Ruhf) #1168

When did that happen?
Last time I checked, Microsoft (NASDAQ: MSFT) had a 52-week low/high value of $83.83/$116.18, while Apple’ (NASDAQ: AAPL) had a 52-week low/high value of $142.00/$233.47.

(Sam) #1169

I’m guessing it’s actually a reference to the market cap rather than literal share price.